2023 Montana deer

If I had two points I would be applying for a general tag. MT deer is one of my favorite hunts.

Yes you can chose to buy the point at application time in the case where you don't draw.
I see. For some reason I've been told it was for that application not the next years.
I guess it's the little note that say purchasing a point increases the likelihood of obtaining a license. They should change that little deceiving.

My bad lol disregard my initial comment then😂

I see. For some reason I've been told it was for that application not the next years.
I guess it's the little note that say purchasing a point increases the likelihood of obtaining a license. They should change that little deceiving.

My bad lol disregard my initial comment then😂
I stand corrected. They changed a lot this last year. The point cost went up. The changed the points situation. You actually have to apply every other year now or lose your points(preference). Thanks for making me look the new rules up before it was too late.

I stand corrected. They changed a lot this last year. The point cost went up. The changed the points situation. You actually have to apply every other year now or lose your points(preference). Thanks for making me look the new rules up before it was too late.
No worries I didn't think I was loosing my mind but ya never know😬.
After seeing what we saw last year we are going to give Montana a break for a couple years I think.

No worries I didn't think I was loosing my mind but ya never know😬.
After seeing what we saw last year we are going to give Montana a break for a couple years I think.
I was going to go to UT and CO but it looks like I will have to bow out of the CO draw. I don't want to lose my MT point. I am not happy about the change.

I was going to go to UT and CO but it looks like I will have to bow out of the CO draw. I don't want to lose my MT point. I am not happy about the change.
Might call them to double check but you could just pay the 100 for just the point this year(not apply for a tag) and still keep your other state plans and then put in for general MT deer in 2024 and be GTG

I will call but it looks like you must apply every other year which would mean I must apply this year.

I will call but it looks like you must apply every other year which would mean I must apply this year.
Yeah call em and get some clarification I thought it was apply for a point every other year but after reading this bullet point on their webpage I'm not sure that's the case. Just reading it makes it seem like you loose your points if you don't apply for a license every year.

"
  • Accumulated preference points will be used during the current drawing whether you purchase an additional preference point or not. Any accumulated preference points are lost if the applicant does not apply for a nonresident combination license in consecutive years, or if you are successful at obtaining a combination license."

Yeah call em and get some clarification I thought it was apply for a point every other year but after reading this bullet point on their webpage I'm not sure that's the case. Just reading it makes it seem like you loose your points if you don't apply for a license every year.

"
  • Accumulated preference points will be used during the current drawing whether you purchase an additional preference point or not. Any accumulated preference points are lost if the applicant does not apply for a nonresident combination license in consecutive years, or if you are successful at obtaining a combination license."
This is where wording matters. This is what it has said for years. It means if you skip two years. Gohunts wording is different. I am going to call for clarification. MT website is not one of the better ones to use in my opinion.

This is where wording matters. This is what it has said for years. It means if you skip two years. Gohunts wording is different. I am going to call for clarification. MT website is not one of the better ones to use in my opinion.
Ryan - curious what you found out from MT

Not trying to discourage you from going to SE area… I have been going there for the last decade. Last year was the worst I had ever seen. While I didn't speak to the biologist myself, my buddy did, and he relayed the message. Deer numbers were down some 30% in the area we hunt. I forget the reason why, if I remember correctly it was a couple things they blamed it on. Sure we saw deer and even bucks, but it was not even close to what we were used to. Several went home eating tag soup. I plan on not going back to that area for a few years. For reference, we hunt south of Baker.

My buddies and I have hunted SE MT since 2011 - I don't hunt every year but they do. Agree that last year was the worst. Also, public land hunting is very hit or miss with mostly private and not so easy access (NE WY too) We hunt with Blue Rock Outfitters and have taken deer each hunt but the quality was low last year and quality and numbers expected worse this year. In addition to the area biologist, call Shawn, taxidermist in Broadus at Powder River Taxidermy for recommendations. He also guides sometimes for Mike Zmek's Blue Rock Outfitters. Either one will talk to you.