2017 SHOT Show: Day 1 (Jan 17 2017)

ELR Researcher

2017 SHOT Show: Day 1 (Jan 17 2017):

As with last year's reporting, on Day 1 I went to specific booths throughout the entire show area that I had particular interest in (heard that something was coming or just a company of usual ELR interest). I will do wall-to-walls on subsequent days. I only talk to folks about ELR and ELR-related products, so typically no info on other products. "NN" denotes "nothing new" - booths I visited but where I found nothing that had not already turned up in one of my site's weekly News updates. [Please check recent weekly updates if you think I missed something that you felt was new "at SHOT". And, since I am certainly fallible, please e-mail me to let me know that I actually did missed something new and ELR-related - my call on whether to conclude as ELR-related and new "at SHOT". E-mail me at [email protected].] Pics will be added to my site after I return home on the weekend. So here goes, in alpha order.

Accuracy International/AI - announced and displayed the new "AX50" rifle with quick-change barrel and right-folding buttstock. Bolt, LoP, and checkpiece are all now tool-less, the bolt shroud now matches (in style) the rest of the AI line, and there will be a double-stack, 10-round mag. Availability - second half on '17. Check AI distributors for pre-order opportunities. The now-older-style AX50 is no longer in production but stock is still in distribution. I was also advised that .338 Norma Magnum barrels (for the AXMC) are now in distribution.

American Rifle Company - advised that Mausingfield actions will now be shipping with DLC-coated bodies and bolt heads and nitrided bolts (other than the noted bolt heads).

Ashbury Precision Ordnance/APO - announced their "ULR Package" ASW .375 CT rifle with a heavier-contour/stiffer barrel, barrel lengths up to 32", new twist (1:8), and carbon fiber handguard - also available in .408 CT. They also announced the ability to upgrade .375 CT rifles to Proof carbon fiber barrels (29", 1:9 twist).

Berger - still in Berger-funded, development of multi-caliber solids. Apparently over 50 iterations already considered. That noted, they are "very enthusiastic" about ELR-focused projectiles.

Bix 'n Andy (Austria) - "TacSport" trigger for the Rem 700. [Note: What was previously announced under this name has now been renamed as the Marksman.] This is their $235 "Jewel Killer" ($255 for two-stage). Externally adjustable from 10 ounces to 4.5 # (ONE spring for all weights), super-crisp break, low reset pressure, SS construction, with safety and bolt stop. Bullet Central, the US distributor and reseller, expects to start shipping in April. Tried and breaks beautifully! See pics at https://bulletcentral.com/new-tacsport-may-exciting-product-shot-show-2017/ They were also showing the new BAT "TR" long action repeater (action) - an "update" (my term, not theirs) of the current HR receiver action. This model is an exclusive for Bullet Central. Expected to ship in March/April. Pic and more info at BAT ction « Search Results « Daily Bulletin

Cold Shot/Heritage Arms - launched their adjustable "Mil Radian Angle (scope) Base"/M.R.A.B. With 72 and 144 mil versions, also identified as Gen 3 (from the improvements made in the current MOAB model and carried over). Imagine a MOAB with much finer threads for the adjusting screw, mil-calibrated wheel, and new info text on the side. Available for immediate ordering, same pricing as the MOAB. NOTE: Within the next 2-3 weeks they will be posting an article on the demonstrated accuracy of the MRAB.

Cutting Edge Bullets (CEB) - no new products but I was able to confirm that they will still do "customs" - minimum 250 pieces.

Explorer Cases (Italy) - released the "X-Long Gun Case" (#15416) rifle case. Designed for .50 cal and other very large rifles, the interior dims are 60.6 x 14.9 x 6.3. Has wheels and a two-hand side handle. Available in mid-Feb.

IWI/Isreal Weapon Industries - had the previously (years ago) announced "Dan" .338 LM rifle on display. Supposedly now committed for US distribution. Nice two-page layout in their 2017 catalog. Zip so far on their US website.

Long Range Arms/LRA - had one of their Send-It multi-indicator-light cant indicators in the Christensen booth - no info, no rep.

Lyman - was showing the "Bag Jack" rifle rest (a very sturdy, scissor-jack-style rest; available with a large, X-pattern, front rest bag; also released a .338 LM "Ammo Checker" (checks to SAAMI minimum specs).

Manners Composite Stocks - introduced the "Platinum Series", built with a new layup process which produces stiffer and stronger stocks. First models are the MCS-PRS1 (with butt hook) and PRS2 (bag rider). The BIG news for ELR is the MCS-LRT (long range tactical) for the Ko2M competition - two models, one for actions up to 1.6" diameter and the second for action as large as 2.0" in diameter AND .50 BMG-size action length. These stocks are extremely strong, have a 3" wide forearm, and are 7-8" longer than "standard" MCS stocks. They will come standard with KMW checkpiece hardware. There will be no mini-chassis available because of the low volume for this model and the wide variety of potential mini-chassis that would be required. One "got-ya" but a possible solution. Because of the extremely bolt length of 12" long actions (e.g., BAT EX), the checkpiece will need to be removed to completely remove the bolt - TBD solution, a folder version. The tang and trigger areas will need to be custom cut by your smith. Order now for availability (hopefully) in time to get load development in before Ko2M 2017 (late June).

March (Japan) - formally released the "High Master Series" of SFP scopes with "Super ED" glass. Available in 10-60x56, fixed 48x52, and 40-60x52 - the last with "eyepiece zoom" where the zoom function is in the eyepiece. Available now with a 20% SHOT Show discount thru 1/30/2017. Pics and more details at March Unveils Impressive New High Master Series of Scopes « Daily Bulletin

McMillan Fiberglass Stocks - was displaying their "ELR Beast" stock for "King of Two Mile" competition. Will accept 2.0" round actions and barrels as large as 2.0" straight cylinder. Sample not shown with, but production units will be available with, an adjustable checkpiece - a simple wrap-over to clear the very long bolts of the very large actions. Availability - about 4 months.

Noreen - no new products but was able to confirm that they will sell the brutish action used in their ULR rifle as a stand alone. This is a case-holder style, single shot action.

Peterson Cartridge Company - still in pre-order mode for their previously-announced .375 CT (9.5 x 77) and .408 CT (10.36 x 77) brass. While there was no commitment on a date for first shipments of the pre-orders, they noted that they have committed to ship to OEM ammo partners within 30 days.

RCBS - was showing the "ChargeMaster Lite", a fairly full-function, lower-cost, version of the ChargeMaster powder measure.

Ritter & Stark (Austria) - had a chance to look over their SX-1 MTR rifle. These are the folks with the rifle that has the scope rail attached (pin and two screws) to the barrel (for perfect alignment when swapping barrels). A single tool (4mm Allen) will disassemble most everything, supports an AI double-stack mag, does not currently include a barrel extension but one is coming (at which point the scope will mount to the barrel extension and the customer can get barrels made to thread to the extension), and it shoots <.5 MOA with Swiss P match ammo (what they have tested with so far). They will retail for $6555 (.338 LM version). Availability within approximately 6 weeks. They are working with a reseller in Utah for most-immediate end-user purchases. They have an office in the US.

Schmidt & Bender - announced the "Long Range Reticle - Mil" (LLR-Mil) reticle (initial release expected in May/June) for four PM II models. Three pages in their "New Products 2017" mini-catalog - way too small images and text to produce decent pics. Also announced a removable magnification throw level and an advanced version of their multi-turn turret adjustment, the "Multi-Turn II".

Surgeon - has added the J. Allen rifle stock as an option. They said they have a CT-capable action in development (for use, as a rifle, with "probably" a J. Allen or AI-sourced stock).

U.S. Optics - explained what's "new" in their "B series" models (B-25 example) - same light gathering capability with a smaller objective (developed and tested with ray tracing; able to be mounted closer to the barrel centerline), reduced extraneous light is bright conditions, smaller turret body (able to be mounted closer to the barrel centerline), internal elevation and windage adjustments (only a "revolution counter" feature remains visible in the turrets), and 30 mils elevation (can't check what it was since the "old" 25 model is no longer on their website).

Velocity Tactics - advised they have completed the design of a .375 caliber solid brass projectile but have yet to take it further - no current commitment to produce. BTW, they are currently selling 338 LM ammo loaded with their current 250 gr solid brass projectiles (1.359-claimed G1 BC) under the Fort Scott Munitions brand.

Warner Tool (in the MPA booth) - advised they expect to have a 400 grain .375 caliber Flat Line model within six months; a .408 model is also in development (weight undisclosed).

XLR - "Envy" chassis - a very streamlined, update (my term, not theirs) of the Element chassis with integrated Pic rail in the bottom of an open-top, fixed forearm with integrated trigger guard and QD mounts. Comes standard with a new butt stock - no castle nut, smooth transition at the attach point to the main chassis section (basically the "Tactical" buttstock with a long screw thru the tube in place of the nut). The castle nut buttstocks are also available. Supports up to a 1.25" straight cylinder barrel. Currently only SA but LA version coming this Summer. BTW, notwithstanding what it appears to suggest on their site, they will still do custom inlets for their Evolution line - based on what they perceive as potential demand, seems at least two (2) units because of the way the Evolution line is manufactured. Since only the SA model was shown, no pics.

NN (nothing new) - Cadex (since their very-recent release of their 2017 catalog - see their website), Celestron, Defiance, Desert Tech, Hodgdon, Kahles, Krieger, LabRadar, Lapua, Nightforce, Pacific Tool & Gauge, Redding, SAC (other that the noted Surgeon "news"), Sierra, and Swarovski.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts