2015 shotgun hunt

matt_3479

Well unfortunately in my area I can't use rifle so I'm limited to bow, and for only 1 week a year shotgun or muzzleloader. i started a new job in the past few months and been so swamped I can't get out to hunt. I ended up telling the boss last Wednesday that I will be taking Thursday off to deer hunt.

I take my girlfriends brother with me as he's never shot a big game animal, and put him in the ground blind where my cameras have been picking up a lot of activity. I walked another half mile to my tree stand. I get to my stand at 5:58am. At 6:50 I let out a grunt from my call and 15 mins later I pull my phone out to see how he was making out and as I look up I notice antlers coming my way. I gently put my phone down, grab my savage 220 and take a peak at what is coming. Now he was in the thick swamp part of my bush at 110 yards away. It was so thick I only saw "smaller"l antlers but seeing as I had no time to hunt I wanted freezer meat. If he comes another 20-30 yards there's a gap in the tree wide enough for me to shoot through. Sure as ****, he came right into the opening and I sent a Remington accutip sabot his way. I didn't see any reaction that looked as if I hit him, yet he took off flying. I didn't see any blood, no awkwardness to his run, no whap when the bullet should of struck. He runs 30 yards and jumps over tall grass and I hear the crash!! I was stoked! Looked like a nice little 6-7 point! I call the girlfriends brother to let him know I have a deer down and he said he will pack up and be right there. I climb out of my tree stand and walk over to where he fell. Well to my surprise the thick swamp made him look smaller then he was! It turned out to be a beautiful 8 point!!

I get super excited and felt like forever waiting for my buddy to come so I decide to leave the bush, and walk down the trail to meet him on top of the hill to make it easier for him to find me. As I leave the bush my little brother calls and I start going through the paces telling him what happened. As I crest the top of the hill a second buck jumps right out of his bed and takes off hell bound for leather across the field! The phone drops from my ear and bounces off my toe. My brother said all he heard was "I walked up an.. A little click.. ;hello, hello.... BANG!!" I reach down pick up the phone and yell I got another one, I got another one!! My girlfriends brother comes around the corner hearing the second gun shot and thought I was just trying to mess with him and he gets there and I tell him the story!

The total time between these two shots was 11 minutes, and 2 8 pointers down.

Buck number 1 is on the right, buck number 2 is on the left.

image.jpeg

Well unfortunately in my area I can't use rifle so I'm limited to bow, and for only 1 week a year shotgun or muzzleloader. i started a new job in the past few months and been so swamped I can't get out to hunt. I ended up telling the boss last Wednesday that I will be taking Thursday off to deer hunt.

I take my girlfriends brother with me as he's never shot a big game animal, and put him in the ground blind where my cameras have been picking up a lot of activity. I walked another half mile to my tree stand. I get to my stand at 5:58am. At 6:50 I let out a grunt from my call and 15 mins later I pull my phone out to see how he was making out and as I look up I notice antlers coming my way. I gently put my phone down, grab my savage 220 and take a peak at what is coming. Now he was in the thick swamp part of my bush at 110 yards away. It was so thick I only saw "smaller"l antlers but seeing as I had no time to hunt I wanted freezer meat. If he comes another 20-30 yards there's a gap in the tree wide enough for me to shoot through. Sure as ****, he came right into the opening and I sent a Remington accutip sabot his way. I didn't see any reaction that looked as if I hit him, yet he took off flying. I didn't see any blood, no awkwardness to his run, no whap when the bullet should of struck. He runs 30 yards and jumps over tall grass and I hear the crash!! I was stoked! Looked like a nice little 6-7 point! I call the girlfriends brother to let him know I have a deer down and he said he will pack up and be right there. I climb out of my tree stand and walk over to where he fell. Well to my surprise the thick swamp made him look smaller then he was! It turned out to be a beautiful 8 point!!

I get super excited and felt like forever waiting for my buddy to come so I decide to leave the bush, and walk down the trail to meet him on top of the hill to make it easier for him to find me. As I leave the bush my little brother calls and I start going through the paces telling him what happened. As I crest the top of the hill a second buck jumps right out of his bed and takes off hell bound for leather across the field! The phone drops from my ear and bounces off my toe. My brother said all he heard was "I walked up an.. A little click.. ;hello, hello.... BANG!!" I reach down pick up the phone and yell I got another one, I got another one!! My girlfriends brother comes around the corner hearing the second gun shot and thought I was just trying to mess with him and he gets there and I tell him the story!

The total time between these two shots was 11 minutes, and 2 8 pointers down.

Buck number 1 is on the right, buck number 2 is on the left.

image.jpeg

And than there were NONE!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.