2015 Kansas buck

The Oregonian

Weather was hot (!!) for this time of year. Highs in he upper 60's and lows in 30's and even 40's a time or two.

Shot this guy at 140 yds...first deer with my 30-06 I got earlier this year from Darrell Holland. Used a Nosler 180 BT and put it in the high shoulder at 140 yds...bullet was in off-side shoulder and was recovered. Legs went out from under him and his vitals were jelly.

Kansas is something else...5 guys in camp, 4 tagged out with one guy killing a 179" gross. A couple of 140 class deer in addition. Mine was 155" gross and weighed 225 on the hoof.

Biggest buck I have ever seen in the woods and I shot him with 7 minutes left before last shoot time. Kansas should be on any whitetail hunter's bucket list.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 133
That's a great buck.

I was in Units 9 and 14 but with no luck. As you said warm weather plus full moon killed a lot of big buck movement.

I didn't have any shooters on their feet on trail cam since 11/15, but I made the 19 hour drive anyway.

Next year, I'm going back to archery season. It's hard since I'm a paraplegic but at least I see huge bucks. Killing them hasn't been so important in recent years.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.