2013 Spring Bear

Finally got out for a spring bear hunt last weekend. It was a nice trip with my dad, stepson and daughter's boy friend. Second night in my stepson downed his first bear, his skull measured 17 1/2 inches.(I offered to clip his tongue but he wanted it in the pic)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 115
Thanks Len and Cornstalker, he sure was excited! He had missed a beauty of a color phase bear a couple of years ago and this was his first chance to get out again since. This bear is a nice bear, absolutely no rubs in the hide. We spotted him at a little over 600 yards but after the miss a couple of years ago we decided to get closer. There was a low ridge between us and the bear and the wind was in our favour, so we ducked behind it and put the stalk on him. Every 25 yards or so we would peek over to make sure he was still there. We crawled the last 100 yards and at 175 yards he felt comfortable with the shot. I knelt down in front of him and he used my shoulder as a rest,(in all the excitement we left the shooting sticks behind). One perfectly placed shot in the boiler room and he ran 25 yards and pile up.
The boy carries a 7mm rem mag but at the last second want my 300wsm. He hit it with 180gr. Xp3, which did the job well. It blew a lung out the exit wound and a second wound blew ribs out the bottom of the rib cage(one shot).
He sat up until 2 in the morning skinning him, he is one proud boy and I am one proud step dad. Hopefully next year we can get the other young fella on a bear.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.