20 moa cheek weld

rangerdanger

If i get a 20 moa base, how much will have have to raise my cheek from where it is with the 0 moa base? I dont have adjustable cheek piece so i dont want to be doing the chin weld thing cause the scope angle. This is going on a Remington 700 22-250 varmint all factory, warne tactical bases and medium rings and viper hst 4-16x44 VMRMOA reticle. Wont be shooting long range with this gun but would like to have the 20 moa for other long range calibers if i ever need it.

If you're not going to shoot this rifle at long range, why would you consider putting a 20 moa rail on it? If in the future, you need a 20 moa base, it would be dependent on the scope and rings, you choose for that rifle.

Id like to go ahead and use a 20 moa base on this one just so have the 20 moa base if i ever need it. But i dont want it if I have to hold my head way up to get a good sight picture. I dont have an adjustable cheek piece on this gun.

As far as cheek weld goes is going from 0 moa base with medium rings to a 20 moa with medium rings like going from medium rings and 0 moa base to high rings with 0 moa base?

If you find you need additional height on the cheek weld after installation of the 20 moa base, you can temporarily tape some mouse pads of varying thickness to find how much you need. You can then either make or buy a cheek pad to attach to the stock. You can get one that has a bag on the side to store a bore snake, ammo, allen wrenches, screw drivers, etc., whatever you think you might need at the range or on the hunt.

Just a thought,

I shoot a 20 MOA mount.

You will not see any difference in cheek weld. A 20 MOA slope that is six inches in front of your face will not change the way you mount your rifle.

Fellas, no offense, but some very simple diagrams on paper with a ruler will show you the error of your thinking regarding difference in cheek weld with 20 moa rail versus 0 moa rail. The difference is not huge, but it is noticable. Before you pronounce me FOS draw it out and look at it.

Fellas, no offense, but some very simple diagrams on paper with a ruler will show you the error of your thinking regarding difference in cheek weld with 20 moa rail versus 0 moa rail. The difference is not huge, but it is noticable. Before you pronounce me FOS draw it out and look at it.

You are absolutely correct, cuzguido, but the OP gave me (and I suspect others) the impression that he was anticipating some dramatic change. He used the term "chin weld", to emphasize his concern. I suspect that most of the experienced shooters would, in his case, keep the idea of an adjustable cheek rest like the Voodoo Tactical (with or without ammo carrier), Karsen Adjustable, or similar in case the height difference was intolerable for his shooting style. But the change in scope angle relative to the action shouldn't be the dominant element in a decision whether or not to try the 20moa mount.

I put a 20 moa warne tactical base on last night with the same warne tactical medium rings. The 0 MOA warne tactical base allowed me to use the bottom of my cheek bone on the top of the stock like I like and the 20 moa warne tactical base forced me to raise up about .5 to 1 inch (your face may differ) but it was still comfortable for me.

Warne tactical medium rings
Warne tactical 0 and 20 MOA bases
Factory Remington 700 SPS Varmint 22-250
Vortex HST 30mm 4-16X44 with 4inch shade

I'm going to use 0 MOA for comfort on this non adjustable stock. But the 20 MOA base would fine if I ever needed to use it on a non adjustable stock.

Last edited:
If you want to use the 20 moa rail without spending unnecessarily for an elevated rest or something just build up your stock with something cheap and temporary for the purpose of experimentation. Something like a rag and ace bandage wrap will work fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.