20'' Barreled AR's..Need some advice

so go 1 and 9 or 1 and 7, ill be shooting mostly 55 gr ??????????????????

go 1-7 just incase you decide later to shoot heavier loads like the great 75gr hornady bthp or 77 nos and smk

My 20" 1-7 fires 55 grain bullets extremely well. The most accurate bullet Ive fired so far has been a 52gr A-max believe it or not and it also fires the 75 and 77's extremely well.

Cant go wrong with a 1-7 twist

Most 1 in 9 barrels will stabilize the Hornady 75 HPBT and the 77 gr SMK just fine. Keep in mind that depending on the QA of the company, you could end up with a fast twist or slow twist 9.

For barrel length decisions, you need to look at your AO. Are you in the piney woods with close shots and thickets? Are you typically sitting in a box stand with limited space? Are you sitting on ridge tops doing overwatch on valleys, or looking at 50 acre fields? There you will find your answer for barrel length.

Just puchased a cmmg upper and lower with the 20" bbl. Sighted it at 100yrd yesterday. Three shots had it on bullseye. I let a friend fire age through it and then I fired one more which cut the 3rd shot sight in hole. And that was it. I'm ready to get rid of the absolute wretched trigger and see what groups it will give in a consecutive order. But I was impressed for a horrible trigger and federal military ball ammo.

I carried a 20" A1, left while A2's were making their way around. My first personal AR was a 16", my M&P15-22 sports a 16" as well, but I felt the need to return to my roots. I just finished a 20" AR-15 in 5.56, just mounted a Mueller scope on it and will take it out this weekend to put it through it's paces. Balances well, and compliments the 16 which has a Vortex Strikefire Red Dot on it. Two different rifles set up for two different purposes.

I'd have no problem recommending a 20" rifle. I will admit finding a 20" barrel was a bit if a challenge though. One guy tried to talk me into a 14.5 inch. Tried to feed me some crap about the ARMY saying 20" was in-affective. He should stick to selling the AK's his store specializes in.

The7mmSTW,

How goes your 20 inch AR build? What have you decided to go with?

I am finishing up an 11.5 inch build and will be doing a 20 inch using a BCM upper assembly with a 1-7 twist to shoot 75 gr Hornady bullets.

Looking forward to an update.

I built one last year with a 20" barrel in 6.8SPC and couldn't be happier. You could try White Oak Armory, Black Hole Weapons, AR Performance. My barrel is a Shilen 20" 4 grove 1:11 twist Ultramatch SS.

2012-04-21_16-37-36_924-1.jpg

OK, so Im looking to building a UPPER for long target shooting, and taking down small game. this is going to be a 5.56/223.

I already have one AR in 300 Blackout(7.62x35) that i built
and i am working on finishing up a SBR 7.5'' barrel in 5.56

I throwing around the idea of a 20'' barrel rather than the standard 16'' and i am wondering if that length is good for what im looking to be doing

Anybody here have a 20'' barreled AR? share some light if ya do

-Matt

i have a 20" bull & a 16" std and the 20 is in my opinion the way to go for long range and small game its just my opinion i shoot 300 yrds very nicely hope it helps

i have a 20" bull & a 16" std and the 20 is in my opinion the way to go for long range and small game its just my opinion i shoot 300 yrds very nicely hope it helps

Most 1 in 9 barrels will stabilize the Hornady 75 HPBT and the 77 gr SMK just fine. Keep in mind that depending on the QA of the company, you could end up with a fast twist or slow twist 9.
For the most part this is true. The catch is that most barrels marked as 9 twist barrels that will shoot 77 grain bullets well are actually 8.5 twist barrels. I will bet my beer money that if they are true 9 twist barrels 75/77 grain bullets might be a problem to get working well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.