20" barrel .308 max effective yardage

sw41

I recently purchased a remington 5r with the 20" barrel. What is my max effective range on targets and on deer size game? What bullets would you guys recommend? I read that the 175 smk's would stay supersonic out to 1000 yards. Is this true? Would the 175 berger vld's perform the same? What about a 168 berger vld? What kind of muzzle velocity do I need to be supersonic at 1000 yards? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a swag... perhaps someone has empirical data that's relevant?

You should be able to get about 2500 fps using Federal Gold Medal Match ammo with the 175g SMK from a 20 inch barrel.

That would put you at around 1180 fps at 1k. But, it will depend on your rifle and the actual loads you develop.

You can play with the numbers on JBM's website or using your preferred ballistics software. The 168g bullets will have a slightly higher muzzle velocity but will suffer more loss ending up pretty close to the same at 1k.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.