338 wim max effective range.

The .338Wm has a fairly loopy trajectory with the heavy pills so every fps that you can get out of it the better. The 26" tube will help.
With a 24.5" barrel, I get 2435fps with the 300 gn SMk and up to 2730 fps with the Hornady BTHP Match pill. But my accurate load with the Hornady is 2670fps.

If you could get an accurate load at over 2700 fps with a 26" tube, then I would grab it.

The .338Wm has a fairly loopy trajectory with the heavy pills so every fps that you can get out of it the better. The 26" tube will help.
With a 24.5" barrel, I get 2435fps with the 300 gn SMk and up to 2730 fps with the Hornady BTHP Match pill. But my accurate load with the Hornady is 2670fps.

If you could get an accurate load at over 2700 fps with a 26" tube, then I would grab it.

Is that with the 338 wm or one of the bigger 338's

Darrin

Darrin,
This is with the standard .338WM.
The bigger .338 cartridges can fire these projectiles at a considerably higher velocity.

For instance out of my long throated .338 Edge I have recorded a top velocity of 2958fps with the 300 grain bullet when testing for my upper pressure limit.

Last night I was thinking in bed. Do you think that a 27 inch or 28 inch barrel would be to long for my standard 338wm? Oh one day I will have a 338 edge. Not in the budget right now. I am jelous!

Darrin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.