max effective range for 7mm-08

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by M_freeman, Feb 14, 2010.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

The two best powders that I have found for my 7/08s have been H414 and Varget. I found a node with varget that did not shoot well (40 to 44 grains) once I got past this It came right in.

I kept bumping it up until I saw pressure signs and backed of 1 grain. (Accuracy was better
    and better the higher I went) but had to settle for the best it would do at first sign of pressure.
    (Note) I set the bullets back .040 thousandths shorter than the Mag length to add some free bore
    and lower the pressure. This did nor hurt accuracy, in fact the best group with this set up was
    .053 5 shots @ 100 yards.

The most accurate load was with 49.5 grains of H414 and a 120 grain ballistic tip @ 3010 in a
    22" barrel.

J E CUSTOM

2. jyenney

jyenney Member

9.5" twist Tikka T3

3. jfseaman

jfseaman Well-Known Member

+1 for what Mark said.

It's not that a hunter can't succeed beyond "recommended" ranges. They are just that, recommended.

I would venture many if not most on this forum can have one shot kills beyond recommended range for the caliber+bullet+velocity+impact+expansion but the rules for recommendation stay the same.

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

My Renimgton R25 in 7mm08 is set up for 500 yards using either 140SST's or Ballistic Tips. I'm getting 2725 FPS being limited to the 20" barrel, and AR10 action for COAL. I get best accuracy with Varget.