max effective range for 7mm-08

J E Custom

Must be the gun. I use 42 grains of varget, any more than that and my accuracy goes away.
I'm happy with the load anyways, and have the gun figured out to 600 yards.
A little more speed might be a nice addition, but it's so hard to find powder, I'll stick with varget.
The two best powders that I have found for my 7/08s have been H414 and Varget. I found a node with varget that did not shoot well (40 to 44 grains) once I got past this It came right in.

I kept bumping it up until I saw pressure signs and backed of 1 grain. (Accuracy was better
and better the higher I went) but had to settle for the best it would do at first sign of pressure.
(Note) I set the bullets back .040 thousandths shorter than the Mag length to add some free bore
and lower the pressure. This did nor hurt accuracy, in fact the best group with this set up was
.053 5 shots @ 100 yards.

The most accurate load was with 49.5 grains of H414 and a 120 grain ballistic tip @ 3010 in a
22" barrel.

J E CUSTOM

jfseaman

+1 for what Mark said.

It's not that a hunter can't succeed beyond "recommended" ranges. They are just that, recommended.

I would venture many if not most on this forum can have one shot kills beyond recommended range for the caliber+bullet+velocity+impact+expansion but the rules for recommendation stay the same.

Greyfox

My Renimgton R25 in 7mm08 is set up for 500 yards using either 140SST's or Ballistic Tips. I'm getting 2725 FPS being limited to the 20" barrel, and AR10 action for COAL. I get best accuracy with Varget.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce