20, 30, or 40 moa??

gohring3006

I have a 30-06 with loads ranging 178gr 2800fps 200gr smk 2500-2600fps and 208gr Amax untested hoping for 2500-2600fps.
They don't make a angled base for my rifle yet. So I have been dialing all of the elevation in my scope and holding over with the reticle. It worked and I can get on a 1moa plate at 1000. Now I have the Burris zee rings and are able to get up to 40 moa of angle. My question is how much do you think I need? My current scope has 50moa of adjustment in elevation. If I use the two .020 inserts I wonder if I'll be able to zero at 100.
Thanks

Run your loads through a ballistic calculator and see what you need for maximum drop.

Look up your scope and see what total elevation it has and divide by half.

That will give you the info you need to decide.

I should need about 35-40 moa depending on the load. If the scope has 50 total, if I go with the two .020 inserts (front and rear rings) depending on my ring spacing I should get 40 more inches at 100. I have to measure my scope reticle height with these new rings. I hope I can zero at 100. If not maybe 200 lol.

I should need about 35-40 moa depending on the load. If the scope has 50 total, if I go with the two .020 inserts (front and rear rings) depending on my ring spacing I should get 40 more inches at 100. I have to measure my scope reticle height with these new rings. I hope I can zero at 100. If not maybe 200 lol.
There's really no sense in zeroing at 100 anyhow.

lightbulblightbulbDuh, I had a brain cramp. I just thought about it and if I get 40 moa and I have half of the adjustment left in the scope that would be 65 moa. Which I think is optimistic. But its more than enough. Probably too much to zero at 100. The nice part is I have two sets of inserts coming so the possibilities are endless. Thanks guys. lightbulblightbulb

My melatonin is kicking in, my thought process is slow. :D:D

I don't think you can get over 20, with the z rings. I would re read the instructions. I will try and find mine and post. Good luck

I don't think you can get over 20, with the z rings. I would re read the instructions. I will try and find mine and post. Good luck

You can put the -.020 in the bottom of the front ring and +.020 on top.
Then go to the rear ring and install +.020, .010, or .005 in the bottom. And the minuses in the top. Or you can reverse the setup as long as you put the minuses in the top of the rear ring.But ring spacing can have an effect on total elevation.
You have to order more .020 inserts to get to the "40 moa " ...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.