1986 217" SE Idaho

My dad found this buck back in 86' in SE Idaho. Thought I would share. I scored him at 217 gross. Not sure how accurate I am so could be 207 for all I know. Trying to talk my dad into getting it officially scored.

Thought you guys would get a kick out of a buck from the 'good ole days'
View attachment 157447
What gorgeous buck! Jealius!

My dad found this buck back in 86' in SE Idaho. Thought I would share. I scored him at 217 gross. Not sure how accurate I am so could be 207 for all I know. Trying to talk my dad into getting it officially scored.

Thought you guys would get a kick out of a buck from the 'good ole days'
View attachment 157447
Easily over 200 in. Scored typical they will deduct the cheaters. I never cared for scores. I like cheaters and trash on antlers. Awesome buck. I love the good old days 60's to 80's.

Part of the problem is that we as hunters are taking the bigger bucks and leaving the not so good ones to pass on the not so good genes . We un intentionally are doing selective breeding programs that way . We did it with livestock intentionally and breed smarter coyote un intentionally by killing the dumb ones and letting the smart ones breed to smart ones . We bread dumb sheep by getting rid of the smart ones that caused trouble and kept the dumb ones that just wondered around eating grass . Just something to think about .
Agree 100%... If I don't find the buck that I truly want, I'll fill my tag with a scrub 3 pointer. I've passed up dozens of respectable bucks over the years hoping they can get another year of growth, or the opportunity to pass the genes on. Unfortunately more than once I've let one go only to have it shot by someone else. You'll never shoot a buck like the op's photo unless you pass on the one in front of you.... One way to do this is by making it about the hunt and not the kill...

Got an Uncle that lives in Idaho he's a hippie so he don't hunt and I'm a flat lander so I will stay on my side of the Red River but dang y'all got some fine looking deer up there
Wish they were still like this. You'll see one every once in a blue moon that is a monster but definitely not like they used to be.

I hate looking at that buck...can you delete it please......;)
Every time i look at that first pic....somehow to my eyes it resembles a pronghorn.....i don't know why....could be the antlers...or the twist of the mount.....something crazy....
The biggest buck I have personally seen was in Oregon about 10 years ago...our hunting partner killed him....i roughed scored him at 231 or so...29.5" inside spread....all points off the main beam...9x11... As heavy at the tip of the main beam as the base....he was an incredible buck....that same year the guys kid hit one and couldn't find it...found it during elk season....scored 190"..all points off the main beam....20" inside spread.....
There are some big bucks....but lots of them are locked behind fences and growing fat from agriculture...the big numbers and bigger bucks find nice food and sanctuaries.......but there are still a few brought to the taxidermy shop I visit every time I am back to see MA.....

I hate looking at that buck...can you delete it please......;)
Every time i look at that first pic....somehow to my eyes it resembles a pronghorn.....i don't know why....could be the antlers...or the twist of the mount.....something crazy....
The biggest buck I have personally seen was in Oregon about 10 years ago...our hunting partner killed him....i roughed scored him at 231 or so...29.5" inside spread....all points off the main beam...9x11... As heavy at the tip of the main beam as the base....he was an incredible buck....that same year the guys kid hit one and couldn't find it...found it during elk season....scored 190"..all points off the main beam....20" inside spread.....
There are some big bucks....but lots of them are locked behind fences and growing fat from agriculture...the big numbers and bigger bucks find nice food and sanctuaries.......but there are still a few brought to the taxidermy shop I visit every time I am back to see MA.....
Those are good bucks! I think you have a good point on the ag. And staying on private. Had a couple this season in September that wouldn't cross. Had fields, water and good cover. They didn't need to travel
image000001(1).jpg
image000001.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.