• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

1942 SPRINGFIELD M1 GARAND

org57

I am wondering if anyone out there may know the value of my M1 Garand 30-06 cal.. I am thinking of selling it but wanted to know the approximate value. According to the serial number this rifle was manfactured by Springfield Arms in November 1942, served in action in WWII, was returned to Springfield Arms for re-barreling, then returned to the war. After WWII this rifle was then sent to the KOREAN conflict, then returned to Springfield arms then sent to the civilian market for sale. This information was furnished by an armory after total service and number research. The barrel was replaced with a new one as the rifiling was well worn past service. The new barrel has been stamped with the original date and information as that which was on the replaced barrel. Rifle has been fired only 5 times since new barrel. All other numbers are from Springfield arms and have NOT been replaced. All markings are present and legible. I also have a 1942 M1 bayonet and sheath.

Attachments

• 20190729_162719.JPG
    20190729_162719.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20190618_133338.JPG
    20190618_133338.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20190618_133421.JPG
    20190618_133421.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 20190618_133433.JPG
    20190618_133433.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20190618_133513.JPG
    20190618_133513.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 20190729_162821.JPG
    20190729_162821.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20190729_162854.JPG
    20190729_162854.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 20190729_163025.JPG
    20190729_163025.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20190618_133521.JPG
    20190618_133521.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190618_133356.JPG
    20190618_133356.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I'm going to have to show my kid this one he's been into military history lately. He will get a huge kick out it

thanks all numbers have been confirmed by an armory and an MI guide as belongi ng to this time frame as per the serial number

I'm going to have to show my kid this one he's been into military history lately. He will get a huge kick out it
I also have M1 Garand booklet, training manuals, bayonet with scabbord and ammunication clips, and cleaning tools with original period grease in the small yellow containers

I been researching these hard lately because I'm looking to buy one for my son. If the barrel was replaced and stamped with the original date of 42 that's a problem. When these were replaced by an armory they always had the current month and date of the manufacture stamped on the barrel. Are you positive the barrel was replaced? Also it looks to have a dark finish and not parkerized finish. To me it looks like this was taken to a gunsmith and refinished. If I could get some pictures I could help you determine if it's original or not. If this is an all original rifle it is around $3000 on gunbroker which is inflated prices. If it's a refinish by a smith and not an armory it's a shooter grade probably $800 to $1000. The 100% correct rifles are fetching a lot of money. The armory refinished with a new criterion barrel with new stock is $1150 from the cmp.

I been researching these hard lately because I'm looking to buy one for my son. If the barrel was replaced and stamped with the original date of 42 that's a problem. When these were replaced by an armory they always had the current month and date of the manufacture stamped on the barrel. Are you positive the barrel was replaced? Also it looks to have a dark finish and not parkerized finish. To me it looks like this was taken to a gunsmith and refinished. If I could get some pictures I could help you determine if it's original or not. If this is an all original rifle it is around $3000 on gunbroker which is inflated prices. If it's a refinish by a smith and not an armory it's a shooter grade probably $800 to $1000. The 100% correct rifles are fetching a lot of money. The armory refinished with a new criterion barrel with new stock is $1150 from the cmp.
the metal is grayish color, the pictures are not the best. Initially I was going to use it for hunting and after talking to the armory they advised to replace the barrel as the older one's rifiling was worn pretty bad and accuracy would be affected so I paid him to replace the barrel with a new one and he stamped the new barrel whith the same markings as on the original barrel. I have owned it for many years and have it in a glass show case, and I have NEVER had the metal refinished which original metal can be observed when wood is removed. I do know that the CMP M1's recently had all the wood removed before entering the US as they were contaminated with termites and Pres. OBama would not let them enter the USA with the infected wood. I am an 80 year old disabled vet and qualified with an M1 when I enlisted in the Army and qualified EXPERT at the range at Fort Jackson, SC, so the M1 has a special meaning to me. Wiull try to get better pictures soon, thanks for your response, I also have a colt 1911 and am selling my Kimber Rapide black ice 45 cal and my Ruger 4.5" stainless 45 cal.

the metal is grayish color, the pictures are not the best. Initially I was going to use it for hunting and after talking to the armory they advised to replace the barrel as the older one's rifiling was worn pretty bad and accuracy would be affected so I paid him to replace the barrel with a new one and he stamped the new barrel whith the same markings as on the original barrel. I have owned it for many years and have it in a glass show case, and I have NEVER had the metal refinished which original metal can be observed when wood is removed. I do know that the CMP M1's recently had all the wood removed before entering the US as they were contaminated with termites and Pres. OBama would not let them enter the USA with the infected wood. I am an 80 year old disabled vet and qualified with an M1 when I enlisted in the Army and qualified EXPERT at the range at Fort Jackson, SC, so the M1 has a special meaning to me. Will try to get better pictures soon, thanks for your response, I also have a colt 1911 and am selling my Kimber Rapide black ice 45 cal and my Ruger 4.5" stainless 45 cal. I confirmed the serial numbers on the bolt, trigger, safety, guide rod, and trigger housing and rear sight are correct period from Springfield. Most refurbished M1's at WWII time were sent back into combat with many different manufactuors name on the different parts, as disassembled parts were all thrown togather in a barrel and the armorers just grabbed a trigger, bolt and other parts not caring who made them as time was short, finished rifle and sent it back into action.

With it being a replacement barrel it brings the value way down. Especially stamped with an incorrect date. Any way you have it these are awsome rifles! My boy is 17 and is a huge historian of ww2 and wants one of these for his graduation. Let me know if and when you plan to sale I may be interested. It will be taken to the range and enjoyed!

With it being a replacement barrel it brings the value way down. Especially stamped with an incorrect date. Any way you have it these are awsome rifles! My boy is 17 and is a huge historian of ww2 and wants one of these for his graduation. Let me know if and when you plan to sale I may be interested. It will be taken to the range and enjoyed!
will do thx

I wont even start to pretend I know what you have, but can give you an experience I had with an M1.

A good friend inherited an M1 Garand. Her family said it was a collectors item and was used in the military. I did some research and found they vary greatly based on where they are made, year of manufacture, and then the usual stuff, condition, etc. There are a lot of factors.

This was 10 years ago or so but they ranged from a few hundred to thousands. Based on the one I was trying to do some checking on I came up with $600-$1000 which was disappointing for the friend, but I told them this same thing, find a dealer or collector to get a good number.

My point is that photos and a web forum may not quite get what you are looking for. There are a lot of variables on these. Good luck!

You go check it on Pawn Stars. 😀

Yours sounds similar to a CMP expert grade (original good condition receiver, new barrel). They are 1150 direct from CMP. I don't see anything that makes yours substantially different than the ones sold by CMP, but you might be able to get more on gunbroker or another auction site.

Last edited:
I wont even start to pretend I know what you have, but can give you an experience I had with an M1.

A good friend inherited an M1 Garand. Her family said it was a collectors item and was used in the military. I did some research and found they vary greatly based on where they are made, year of manufacture, and then the usual stuff, condition, etc. There are a lot of factors.

This was 10 years ago or so but they ranged from a few hundred to thousands. Based on the one I was trying to do some checking on I came up with $600-$1000 which was disappointing for the friend, but I told them this same thing, find a dealer or collector to get a good number.

My point is that photos and a web forum may not quite get what you are looking for. There are a lot of variables on these. Good luck!

You go check it on Pawn Stars. 😀
thank you so very much for your time and research. Have read many books and discovered this serial number was in the year range of Dec. 1942