190gr. Berger hunting VLD Questions

Firecat

Hi all. Its been a long time since I posted on here. Long story short I finally cycled through my hobbies and landed on LR shooting again. This partly due to the fact that I couldn't find Retumbo for some time. I am shooting a 300 RUM Remington Sendero. Although the tube on this gun is fantastically accurate for factory, it must be tight. I say this because it will not put up the velocity numbers some of you are claiming and she tends to show signs of pressure early. For a while I was shooting 210 grain VLD's with good results. There were two problems with this load. One is that it liked them loaded to pressures I wasn't comfortable with(Flattening Primers.) Second is that those primers were flattening with a load 3 grains under max and were slow for my liking.

I had them loaded with
89grains retumbo
Federal 215 primers
remington cases
210 Berrger Hunting vld's.
Velocity was roughly 2900fps
Accuracy at 100yds was around .250-.330

So that being said, I thought i would try a little lighter bullet and EUREKA! even better groups

These are groups from load development. They are 4 shot groups at 100 yds.

I am looking for advice for using these to shoot in the 1200 to 1500 yd range. Not for hunting but for target and stump thumpin. I would like to practice there in order to hunt the 600-1000 yd range. Thus keeping them in the desired velocity and energy range.

Do any of you use these 190 grain VLD's for long range and what problems have you observed? There are no wrong answers here just looking for some direction and ideas.

Thanks

I shoot the 190s with 94.5 gr of retumbo coming out at 3096 fps. Its really accurate but a tad on the warm side for my gun. My buddy shoots the 230 grainers out of his 300 RUM with H1000, that thing is just deadly accurate. Those 230 grainers seem to buck the wind a fair bit better than my 190s . I can see that when we are shooting a steel plate at 1000 yds. I have a 36 inch by 36 inch steel plate we practice on. I like the bigger plate painted white to see the hits easier at 1000 yds and the bigger plate is a help when the wind is blowing anywhere from 5 to 20 with gusts. Practicing with the wind blowing is a must. After a lot of shooting out there at 1000+ yds with some wind and you come back into 4 and 500 yds and its still out , those shots now seem so much easier ,or just we are so much more confident and we know our guns a lot better than someone who just shoots off 1 box of ammo before hunting season and calls it good. All that being said I try to stay at 700 and under ( unless its a coyote ) because im really comfortable at 700 and under and I don't want to wound anything ( unless its a coyote )

I've loaded them for a guy with a 30 Hart (300 weatherby Ackley improved) and they shot great and killed everything they hit stone dead from 50 yards to 6-700 was about the furthest.

He definitely got more bang/flops on deer with them compared to the 210's that we went with later on. About half the time the 210's opened up but did not stay in the deer, they kept going out the other side with a nice exit hole. The 190's always stayed in the animal and did lots of damage.

I've never found anything bad about how they worked.

Awesome group by the way. That should be a deadly load.

Thanks for the replies. I was pleasantly surprised how well they grouped. These are quite a bit faster form me than the 210's were. Both lighter and a shorter bearing surface helped out. Do you know what velocities we was getting out of the 30 Hart and 190gr. combo?

Yes. 86gr of Retumbo - Weatherby headstamp brass - CCI 250 - 190 VLD was @ 3180 out of a 26" barrel. Wasn't hot or over pressure...recipe would get 7-9 reloads.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.