185 Juggernaut in .308

918v

Hi:

I bought a box of these to try. I seated them to 2.810" over 40.7grs of IMR 4064 in a Lapua case and got only 2475 FPS from my 26" barrel.

What kind of speed are you guys seeing with this combo or with other powders?

It's been so long since I've ran a 26" .308. If memory is correct back then I used 178 Amax over Varget for around 2700 fps. I now shoot a 30" tube with the 185 Jugg and H4895 for FTR, love it. Your speed may be a little slow, but if you run your stuff on QL without any changes in the defaults your load looks pretty good for barrel timing,chamber pressure,powder burn. Speed is about 75fps faster on QL. IMR4064 is a good powder to use, but there are others that will give you a little more speed. Also the Juggernaut length in my .308 is 2.921 which is a single shot feed. gun)

I don't run the Juggs but more the Hubrids. Out of a 30" barrel, I'm approaching 2820 with Varget and CCI 250s.

It's been so long since I've ran a 26" .308. If memory is correct back then I used 178 Amax over Varget for around 2700 fps. I now shoot a 30" tube with the 185 Jugg and H4895 for FTR, love it. Your speed may be a little slow, but if you run your stuff on QL without any changes in the defaults your load looks pretty good for barrel timing,chamber pressure,powder burn. Speed is about 75fps faster on QL. IMR4064 is a good powder to use, but there are others that will give you a little more speed. Also the Juggernaut length in my .308 is 2.921 which is a single shot feed. gun)

I used the default setting for Ba because it was dead on with 175SMK. I should have known better- heavier bullet / less powder = less velocity.

So I changed the Ba to .560 and loaded up some with 42.1grs to test tomorrow morning.

I forgot I you have to adjust the Ba every time you change anything.

Quick update:

Adjusted QL and shot 41.7grs of 4064 and 41.8grs of Varget. Both have me 2545 FPS and .3" accuracy at 100 yards. I even tried BR-2 primers with no measurable effect. I am very pleased.

One weird thing, however, is that when adjusting QL burning rate I have to use different numbers for Lapua and FC brass even though my particular lots have the exact same case volume. The burning rate for FC brass has to be 1% higher.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.