185 beger-retumbo-300wm-HELP

30-06 boy

i've done some searching for threads for a starting charge of retumbo for 185 vld. really cant find much.do any of you guys have a safe starting charge. i was thinking of using 2 grains above min charge for 200 grain bullets.? jasongun)

30-06boy,
This is the "fun" part behind reloading and developing loads. You can try and call Hodgdon and/or Sierra techs and see what they have. Walt Berger may have reloading info available and would probably be glad to share it with you. I have heard from others on this forum he is a super nice guy to deal with. Those sources will probably be your best choice. Not much info on the internet that I can find.
But, if it were me and I wanted to load the 185gn VLD, I would first start looking at the 180gn bullet. Not a lot of difference there. Looking at the Hodgdon reloading website, I see that load data is listed for the 180 & 200 gn bullet using H1000. There is data for the 200gn with Retumbo, but not the 180. Comparing the data available, H1000 uses 4gn more with the 180 as it does with the 200gn bullet. Retumbo uses 1gn more (from min to max) than H1000 does with the 200gn bullet. I would "assume" the same thing for the 180gn bullet and load 185gn bullets with 77.0 - 82.0gn of Retumbo. That's the way I look at it.
Others may pass out when they read this or some may have already come to the same conclusions as I have. That's the fun in reloading. Just be careful and be safe no matter what you decide. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.