168 gr, Berger VLD in 280 Remington? Load suggestions?

In my 280, I run a load right out of the Nosler manual #4, with the 160g Sierra btsp, and partition. IMR 7828, and the FEDERAL 210 outperformed all other primers dumping the bullets in a group less than 1/2".

I am sure that you can find great results with the 168g Berger, remember, Federal 210 with the IMR 7828, the same combo worked in the 280 AI....small groups. The Classic Hunter from Berger may give you some exceptional results.

I've got a Remington 700 Stainless Mountain Rifle that I'm wanting to work up a load for. I bought it for an elk and mule deer gun before I got too fat to run up and down the Rockies. It worked good on both with the Federal 160 gr. Nosler Partitions.

The biggest thing I shoot now is Tennessee Whitetails. But to make that more interesting, I shoot them at long range. In doing so, I've started using the Berger VLDs and like them. I usually shoot the heaviest bullet possible for the higher BCs. I know from past experiences that I can't reliably shoot the 180 VLD in the Remington 1 in 9 1/4" factory twist, especially with the slower velocity of the .280 Rem. So I thought I'd try and work up a load with the 168 gr. VLD.

I searched this forum for this caliber/bullet combination and didn't find any posts. But I know that some of you guys know how good a caliber the 280 Rem. is. I also know we have lots of Berger fans on here. So I'm betting some of you have some pet loads that you might share.

The gun has a 22" thin conture barrel. The barrel is not floated. There is a pressure pad at the tip of the fore end, but with the whippy barrel and light weight stock, I think this is a good thing. It shoots MOA with the Federal factory 160 gr. Partition loads and the one 100gr, HP load that I worked up for coyotes. That is not a fur friendly load.

I asked this same question about a 6.5-284 about a month ago for a new Savage 111 LRH I purchased. I got some very good load advise from you guys. I kind of ignored it and spent a month and a lot of money on reloading components testing lots of different loads, only to come to the conclusion that the suggested loads were exactly right. I won't do that this time.

I'm thinking H1000, IMR-7828SSC, RE-19 or maybe H4831SC, but if I'm on the wrong track, please set me straight.
Thanks guys.
I started with the same rifle (Rem 700 Mountain SS), put a 24" Krieger barrel on it and other goodies. Load the Berger 168-grain VLDH in front of 55.6 grains of Reloder 19. COAL long enough to jam the bullet a bit. I get muzzle velocities over 2800 fps. Kills deer DRT every time.

I've got a Remington 700 Stainless Mountain Rifle that I'm wanting to work up a load for. I bought it for an elk and mule deer gun before I got too fat to run up and down the Rockies. It worked good on both with the Federal 160 gr. Nosler Partitions.

The biggest thing I shoot now is Tennessee Whitetails. But to make that more interesting, I shoot them at long range. In doing so, I've started using the Berger VLDs and like them. I usually shoot the heaviest bullet possible for the higher BCs. I know from past experiences that I can't reliably shoot the 180 VLD in the Remington 1 in 9 1/4" factory twist, especially with the slower velocity of the .280 Rem. So I thought I'd try and work up a load with the 168 gr. VLD.

I searched this forum for this caliber/bullet combination and didn't find any posts. But I know that some of you guys know how good a caliber the 280 Rem. is. I also know we have lots of Berger fans on here. So I'm betting some of you have some pet loads that you might share.

The gun has a 22" thin conture barrel. The barrel is not floated. There is a pressure pad at the tip of the fore end, but with the whippy barrel and light weight stock, I think this is a good thing. It shoots MOA with the Federal factory 160 gr. Partition loads and the one 100gr, HP load that I worked up for coyotes. That is not a fur friendly load.

I asked this same question about a 6.5-284 about a month ago for a new Savage 111 LRH I purchased. I got some very good load advise from you guys. I kind of ignored it and spent a month and a lot of money on reloading components testing lots of different loads, only to come to the conclusion that the suggested loads were exactly right. I won't do that this time.

I'm thinking H1000, IMR-7828SSC, RE-19 or maybe H4831SC, but if I'm on the wrong track, please set me straight.
Thanks guys.
Had a 280 Rem for years, and still load for a buddy of mine. H4831 was our go-to, but found more velocity using H4350. I can look when I get home on how much powder we were using, but you'd be best to do you own work up anyways.

I've shot two bulls with the 168 VLDat 340 yards, and neither went more than a few feet. 2850 fps out of my 7mm WSM. Works just as well on deer, javelina, aoudad, antelope, or whatever.

Again, I am running the 160-162 at 2900 with IMR 7828 with Fed 210's, the Sierra btsp is one heck of a bullet on making deer dead in their tracks, but with Mnolands experience with the 168g vld-H, they are overdue a try.

I have both. Both are X caliber 9T barrels. The AI and std both love IMR 7828 with federal 210's. I try most primers to see what groups are the tighest. IMR 7828 in these two calibers simply shoots dot-size groups. I shoot 178-180's in the AI.
I'm about fresh out of the federal 210's so I'll be trying some CCI and Winchester and hopefully one of these will work as well as the 210's with 7828 out of my 280 AI