168 gr, Berger VLD in 280 Remington? Load suggestions?

I'm about fresh out of the federal 210's so I'll be trying some CCI and Winchester and hopefully one of these will work as well as the 210's with 7828 out of my 280 AI
You should be good to go with CCI's. I also grabbed a few bricks of Winchester Large Rifle but have not tried them. Trying to skimp on my 210's for hunting loads. Keep me posted

birddog, the Winchester and CCI are radically different primers, and I suspect that you will hit pay dirt with different powder charges. All those bullets I mentioned like to be seated very close to the lands for those tiny groups to emerge..

I figured I'd back off a couple grains and work back up with the CCI. I'm actually shooting 160 accubond in this rifle and not the Berger. I used to shoot the 168 classic hunters out of a 280 I had but sold.

For normal hunting ranges I can not find a better bullet than Accubonds on deer/hogs.
I have them loaded in 4 rifles from .257 to .308 and from 2700fps to 3400.
Target accuracy is phenomenal also.

Rice, I agree. Problem is that the Accubonds are not available. Nosler is really letting down the reloaders that got their company established, Sierra also.

Hornady is keeping the reloaders in bullets. Sad truth, this situation is probably going to get worse before it gets better.

You should be good to go with CCI's. I also grabbed a few bricks of Winchester Large Rifle but have not tried them. Trying to skimp on my 210's for hunting loads. Keep me posted

birddog, the Winchester and CCI are radically different primers, and I suspect that you will hit pay dirt with different powder charges. All those bullets I mentioned like to be seated very close to the lands for those tiny groups to emerge..
Made a trip to the range after work today. I shot 3 with my normal powder charge and CCI primers and also 3 with Federal which is what I used working up this load.
I'll have to start over once I'm out of federal 210's.

Attachments

• 53B49EFC-ADDE-4BB2-84DD-421104175E9C.jpeg
    53B49EFC-ADDE-4BB2-84DD-421104175E9C.jpeg
    745.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 3F461166-FF3A-49E8-AD11-B9ED018C7C6C.jpeg
    3F461166-FF3A-49E8-AD11-B9ED018C7C6C.jpeg
    765.2 KB · Views: 28
Made a trip to the range after work today. I shot 3 with my normal powder charge and CCI primers and also 3 with Federal which is what I used working up this load.
I'll have to start over once I'm out of federal 210's.
🤯 that has my attention. Like VinceMule said have to try different recipes. Looks like those WLR primers might be getting cob webs. Thanks for the "heads up". CCI's have been good to me as a whole but might have to rethink that one. Thanks again

🤯 that has my attention. Like VinceMule said have to try different recipes. Looks like those WLR primers might be getting cob webs. Thanks for the "heads up". CCI's have been good to me as a whole but might have to rethink that one. Thanks again
Yes it was wishful thinking that I could just switch primers. I have enough federal 210's for hunting loads this year but after that I will start from scratch with the CCI and I'm sure I can get them to work with some work. I also have some Winchester I can work with.

Yes it was wishful thinking that I could just switch primers. I have enough federal 210's for hunting loads this year but after that I will start from scratch with the CCI and I'm sure I can get them to work with some work. I also have some Winchester I can work with.
I just ordered some 140gr BT's thanks to your heads up. I'm sure we will not have any trouble working up some loads with CCI's. But again, I would never have guessed it would be that much difference. It's like when I put a chronograph on my 7-08 AB's with IMR4350. Broke my spirit. So accurate but slow. So I have been trying to tweak H4350 (100 fps faster) with AB's. Should I try RL17 or Varget or? Barbet is great with 120's in my '08. My .280 AI is dialed in with -60AB's and RL26. What are you cookin up?