162 Hornady A- Max Mystery??????

7stw

I have a box of 162 A-Maxes that I bought about 3months ago. One of my shooting chronies at the range gav me 3 boxes of 162 A -Maxes, but these look totally different than the ones that I have. They are quite longer, yes, they weigh 162' the tip is much bigger, and longer as well. The boat tail seems to be a little more swept back. They are actually longer than my 168 Bergers. The boxes were not opened, and I believe that they may have been made in 1996. I guess the question is, did they change the design, or is this a different bullet all together. The tip on the newer ones is very small, but the ones on the older ones is much bigger, and the whole bullet is noticeably longer. Any thoughts? Thanks,

7 STW.

162 AMAX is good stuff!!

Yes, I absolutely agree with you. I have two 7 mags, and a 7 STW that love them. I have not shot a deer with them yet, but I am crossing my fingers and hope they do there thing. I know they are are a match bullet, but I have heard from many that they perform well on game. What is the overall difference in the old style, and what does the " AMP" jacket do that the other one did not do. Boy what a difference in the two physically. The part number is even the same! In your experience, do they shoot differently? I have three full boxes of the " old " style, and about a third of a box left of the new style. Man those things shoot. Thanks.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALLlightbulb. 7 STW.

The boxes you have are actually the "old" ones. They are the predecessor to the new A-Max. The progression of the A-Max started with the "National Match" 162 grain aluminum tipped bullet, then moved to the larger polycarbonate red tip, then eventually to the modern day smaller poly red tip. Point of impact with the poly tipped bullets is usually the same.
If you do a search on the A-Max on here, you will find some pictures I posted a while back of the three different bullets I speak of.

The boxes you have are actually the "old" ones. They are the predecessor to the new A-Max. The progression of the A-Max started with the "National Match" 162 grain aluminum tipped bullet, then moved to the larger polycarbonate red tip, then eventually to the modern day smaller poly red tip. Point of impact with the poly tipped bullets is usually the same.
If you do a search on the A-Max on here, you will find some pictures I posted a while back of the three different bullets I speak of.

Yes, I remember them now. A friend of mine had a 50 BMG, and I believe that he was loading some of the ones with the aluminum tip. I was not shooting A maxes then but I am rely enjoying them now. This may be a loaded question, but how do the old A- Maxes perform IF used on say, a deer ? They shoot so good, and I have heard and read that they perform well. What's your opinion? Thanks.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. lightbulb 7 STW.

The aluminum tip National Match bullets were fairly accurate bullets for competition shooting, but incredible in terms of terminal performance.
They are absolutely lethal on deer sized game. I went through my old pictures, and found the picture I posted to a thread years ago on here showing the progression to the modern day A-Max.

Attachments

• amax.jpg
    amax.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 154
The aluminum tip National Match bullets were fairly accurate bullets for competition shooting, but incredible in terms of terminal performance.
They are absolutely lethal on deer sized game. I went through my old pictures, and found the picture I posted to a thread years ago on here showing the progression to the modern day A-Max.

Wow, that is impressive, and thanks for the reply and pix. Is there a BC difference between the new version, and the second,IE the ones with theBIG red tip? I would think the BC should be higher than the present day version. Thanks again for your reply.

7 STW.lightbulb

Wow, that is impressive, and thanks for the reply and pix. Is there a BC difference between the new version, and the second,IE the ones with theBIG red tip? I would think the BC should be higher than the present day version. Thanks again for your reply.

7 STW.lightbulb

National Match BC .710
A-Max large tip BC .660
A-Max small tip BC .625

These are real world BC numbers I have attained by utilizing the Oehler 43 ballistic laboratory.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.