1500 Meter 308 Shot

Stoutthedog

I think this might be the best forum to get an understanding of this event. The link below is to an article about an individual accidentally shooting two teenagers while target shooting in South Texas. It is very sad.

The area is pretty flat. I've looked at the trajectory tables and cannot understand how this bullet, shot at a 300 M target, could have traveled another 1200 M and struck someone. I could not find any table that shows a .308 holdover for a 1500 M shot.

Can anyone calculate the height of a 300 M target, from the shooter, that would allow the bullet to travel 1500 M to it's destination on level ground? There have been no published info on the bullet and I doubt there will be. What would the velocity and energy be assuming an unobstructed shot.

Article:
Arrest made in Valley basketball shooting - San Antonio Express-News

Map:
Photo - San Antonio Express-News

Here is my take, he did it on purpose! He felt bad and turned him self in bottom line. Things like this are never commited by the people we think they are.

I cant speek to the terrain in this situation as you need to provide a topographic map.

The explination of how the bullet could have been fired at a 300M target and struck at 1500M is he dialed his scope wrong or the scope was bad.

Hope this helps sorry about the kids its horrable.

not likley this was intentional, reckless yes, neglegent sure.

This is what likely happened. They had no burm behind the target the bullets sailed thru the paper and impacted the ground at a very shallow angle, then deflected up at an angle that sent them a considerable distance down range. Texas is in a drought so the ground is quite hard. by chance they hit the kids, I would bet more bullets are laying on the practice field or court. God awful thing to happen, amazing that 2 kids were hit, that might make it seem intentional, but could have been lots of kids increasing the chances of 2 strikes.

In Oklahoma Last year a story was related to me from a friend of the fellow that shot 2 cattle and a house doing the exact thing at 1 mile, He was at a range with burms but set out a target at 75 yards with no burm behind it. fired a couple of boxes of 175 gr 308 cartriges. with-in minutes of him finishing the police were called to the home of an old rancher, 2 cattle struck and a bullet pulled from the house was a 175smk with 4 grooves cut in the bullet. more bullets were found laying on the ground all with-in a relativly small circle for a ricocett and 1 mile distance.

Turns out the officer who was first on the seen was the guy shooting at the 75 yard target. he later addmitted, when he got the call, as he was packing up the rifle, he knew the owner, and started getting that sinking feeling imediatly. When he saw 4 grooves he new they came from his Kreiger barrel.

A couple weeks ago a guy hit a amish girl in a moving buggy at 1.5 miles after unloading his muzzle loader in the air, he has not been charged, as of the writing of that article.

Gutierrez said he was reaching out to state representatives, proposing a ban on hunting within a three-mile radius of schools.

Treviño said it all boiled down to personal responsibility.

"I think a more prudent person would have aligned his targets in a different direction," he said.

3 mile radius, that takes away about 25 square miles of land. How many schools are in Texas?

while i dont think this is aggravated assault the shooter disobeyed the first rule in hunting/shooting .......know what is beyond your target/dont shoot towards places were there are people

neglect with serious injury for sure. the man facial expressions does not look like a criminals he looks truely remorseful

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.