150 GR XP3 in 300 WSM

Dirty Steve

Anyone want 65% of a box of 150 gr Winchester XP3's for a 300 WSM? I will sell them for $20 plus shipping. They absolutely will not shoot in my Savage 12FVSS. I have never had a round group so poorly. Has anyone else had this issue with the 150 gr XP3's? Group sizes were about 4"+ at 100 yards with no consistency. I was hoping to use them for antelope, but not with them spraying groups like that.

Dirty Steve

Didn't shoot worth a darn in my Savage 270 WSM. I bought 2 boxes and then shot 22 rounds before I gave up on them. They went with the rifle to the next owner but I fully informed him that they did not shoot well.

I know that every rifle has loads that it does - and does not - like. Mine hated those and with all of the options available today I don't plan on buying them again.

P.S. - isn't 150gr quite a lightweight for a 300? I'd look to 180 and above if it was me.

I had been shooting 180gr Partitions, and they shot well. You know the old adage, "the grass is always greener" and I wanted to try a lighter load for antelope. Evidently the 150 gr XP3's are not it. I'm going back to the 180gr Partitions.

Dirty Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.