129 grain SST in Man Bun

General RE LEE

I picked up a box of 129 grain SST in 6.5 and want to work up a load in my 6.5 man bun. Goal is a 120-180 lb whitetail deer slayer out to 300 yards without much fuss. Probably will load over Superformance.

Anyone got experience with the 129 grain SST in deer sized game?

Buddy you have dozens of posts asking about reputable bullets for shooting whitetails at perfectly reasonable ranges. All will work and work well, all are wonderful at bringing the blood pressure of ungulates to zero.

Umm yeah I enjoy tinkering with different loads. Didn't you know Internet forums are full of people that are OCD lol?

Used a 130gr many times in 270 and 95gr in 243. Close it may come out of cup and fragment a lot, but if shot behind shoulder deer is usually DRT. 150 yds and further or so does real well. And it may not fragment to bad every time but will most close. Basically I'm saying close range I dont advise shoulder shot, meat waste and bullet could fail. Stay behind shoulder and all is good.

Last edited:
I picked up a box of 129 grain SST in 6.5 and want to work up a load in my 6.5 man bun. Goal is a 120-180 lb whitetail deer slayer out to 300 yards without much fuss. Probably will load over Superformance.

Anyone got experience with the 129 grain SST in deer sized game?
I don't have the 6.5 manbun but it should be a great load. The recoil should be light enough to not cause the hair to be undone ;) Here's a video of Wanye Van Zwoll and that load.

I don't have the 6.5 manbun but it should be a great load. The recoil should be light enough to not cause the hair to be undone ;) Here's a video of Wanye Van Zwoll and that load.

That shot is well beyond what I would want to do with that load. But I'm not going to argue with the shooter either. He's hunted alot more than I have.

My experience is with the 140 SST Superformance ammo for my 270. That load has nailed every deer I shot with through and through performance. No need to track and shots were from 200-300 yards on AZ Coues Whitetail.