338 SST 225 grain?

Perkules

Got a box just out of curiosity. They look and measure good.

SST-Firstrounds.jpg

They are lighter than I would like for moose but I´ll see what I can come up with anyway. Maybe a good varmint bullet in 338 LM.
grin.gif

Has anyone here used these on game?

Petander,

What load did you cook up for them (powder brand, how many grains, OAL). I see the Vihtivouri reloading manual out
wink.gif
If I remenber right you have a Sako TRG-s. Do these rounds fit the magazine? I used to load the 200 gr Nosler Ballistic tip. I am trying the 225gr Accubond this year. Have not shot it yet. I am using N165.

Matt

Gentlemen,thank you very much,good info.
smile.gif

Matt, I´m using Vihtavuori N165 as well. I cooked up four loads to start with, two of which are around Vihtavuori max which is 6.28 grains. It should give 3050 fps or so, I will chrono these first to get some idea where I´m at and start a bit lower of course.

3000-3100 fps MV would fill my needs well. OAL is 3.655" which is 0.010" off the lands, they fit the TRG-S magazine.

Jerry,your impact velocity info is very good news too, exactly what I was looking for. Seems to fit the picture in this case, 200 to 600 yards is my practical hunting range so I´ll verify this bullet path up to 800 at least - if I find a low ES load in the first place.

Now,time to locktite those screws again. I will fix the bedding one day but now I´m waiting for a suppressor to get rid of the brake so I´ll need to take the rifle apart soon anyway. Suppressors are legal over here.

Isn´t this a great board or what?
cool.gif

As long as impact vel is below 3000fps (try 2800fps as a max), you will love these bullets.

I have used Hornady bullets in one form or another for several years and they always work if impact vel is kept moderate. Penetration has always exceeded expectation. I now use SST's exclusively, although the new Interbonds are very interesting.

Very accurate too. Let us know how you make out with those SST

Jerry

Well here I go:

After my car got stuck in the snow I concentrated on shooting. My most accurate load was average 3120 fps and ES was 45 for ten rounds of these 225 SST:s.

Some horizontal spread again (bedding) but after a couple of hours outside the rifle settled down and I was able to get normal groups without weird flyers. I did 100,200 and 300 meters. Cold weather makes my TRG-S behave better, it´s confirmed by now. Plastic seems to harden somehow.

Very easy shooters compared to 300 Matchkings.Yes, I shot one 300 MK "fouler" group and it was the best group of the day.
confused.gif

Once I figure out the bedding I´ll let you know. The time is about to come.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.