125gr Wildcat load development

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I have finally gotten around to testing some of Richards 125gr ULD RBBT bullets.
I am using once fired Win brass with Reloader 22.

I found the max load last night, kinda abruptly.
I loaded up rounds from 51gr-56gr in 1 gr incrememnts and drove out into the country and shot them in the ditch.

At 55gr I saw a very slight ridge on my primmer and maybe a slightly heavy bolt.

At 56gr I the bolt was fairly heavy and the primmer was missing. I decided to stop here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have loaded up 5 rounds each from 52-54gr in half grain incrememts and I will test these tonight at 300yds.

Just thought I would keep everyone updated.

Thanks
Steve

I just read Kirby's post about the 100gr 22cal WildCat bullet. I noticed he said that in very long for caliber bullets it is common to see very little powder cause a large pressure change.

I am wondering if this is why I saw a slightly raised primmer and one grain later the primer was completely blown.

Just wondering what you all think.

By the way these bullets are seated .020 into the lands.

thanks
Steve

Good to see someone else using these bullets. I ordered a box of them to try in my 25-06. They should be here in about 2 weeks. I was hoping to get them before deer season, but my season starts in 2 weeks so I'll just be getting them. My rifle loves H-4831, Richard is using IMR-7828, I have that and H-1000. Will try all those powders till I find a load that shoots 3 inches at 525 yards, or better than my 110g Accubond load. I was going to start right off the lands at first.

Yes it is a 25-06,

I shot my 25 loads last night and it seems that 54gr of Reloader 22 is going to be the best.

I shot all 25 rnds at 250yds and the 54gr load grouped right at 1.5" for three rounds, didn't have time to fire the last two.

The bench we are shooting from is not the steadiest one ever created so I think it will group even tighter than this. I am going to load up several more 5 shot groups with the seating depth moved in .005 increments. I am going to test all of these at 400yds this weekend.

If anyone has any other ideas on tightening these groups up I would love to hear them. I think the rifle is going to shoot them pretty good so this should be one hell of a good whitetail/long range coyote round.

Thanks
Steve

What is the twist in this gun? will a 1/10 stabilize the 125 gr. bullet?
old bear

It is a 1-10 twist Old Bear

I have tried the 115 Berger and was getting good results with them, but I think this one will have a little more punch on those long shots. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I ordered them from Richard Graves, he has been helping me find a good bullet for this 25-06.

Thanks
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts