123 gr Amax on Deer

Fleavitt

I've been shooting my .260 Rem for about 2 years and have great accuracy with the 123 gr Amx and Varget. I have a hunting spot this year with a potential for a 420yd shot on deer. Has anyone had any issues with the Amax on Deer? When I started in reloading for the 260 I was told by a few on this site the Amax will do fine on deer... Any Thoughts?

I included a pic of my target!! Its tough to see but he seems to be a good one.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 199
I use the Amax on deer. I have tried multiple (around 20) bullets. The accuracy and the resulting kills, are proof enough for me. If you are looking for a through and through shot, it's not the bullet for you. But, if you want the internals to be jelly and not have to trail the deer, it is for you.

As with all taking of game, shot placement/accuracy is #1. The AMAX provided me with the most accuracy. Allowing for the best shot placement.

I've read the previous posts on using this bullet to take game. Anywhere from they are perfect to they were the complete wrong answer. I just know that from my exeperience, they work very well.

If you use the search bar top right corner using the same title as your thread you can find an older thread with lots of post mortem pictures of deer shot with this bullet.

Supposedly the 123 SST will shoot exact same point of impact as the AMax so you could try those out and use them if it made you feel more comfortable. I'm just beginning load development with my 6.5 Creedmoor and the 123 AMax and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer with them.

I have now taken 2 Mule Deer, 1 Bull Elk and 1 Pronghorn using the Amax.

Mule Deer @ 400yrd complete pass through. Deer stood in his tracks for 4-5 sec before piling up.

Mule Deer @ 100yrd core passed through but jacket lodged under the opposite hide. Good fragmentation with lots of internal damage. Buck made it 20 yards despite being hit a little far back (lung and liver)

Bull Elk @ 300yrd 1st shot lacerated heart and large blood vessels and would have been fatal, 2nd shot was high in the shoulder and went through the scapula and stopped in the hide on the opposite side dropping the bull.

Pronghorn 300yrd complete pass through which really shredded the lungs. Ran about 50 yards at a dead sprint before dropping.

My buddy took his buck at 75 yards with a quartering away shot. Massive internal damage. Bullet did not exit. Buck ran about 50 yards before expiring.

Been a very reliable round for deer.

Attachments

• P1020586.jpg
    P1020586.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 183
  • P1020605.jpg
    P1020605.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 186
I have shot the 123 AMAX and 123 SST side by side with the same load. In my 260 AI they group within 1/2" of each other and shoot the same size groups.

My load gets 3090 fps average with RL 17 and shoots both bullets into the .3"s - .4"s.

I haven't got to take any game with either but should find out pretty soon how the SST's work on antelope.

Id like to hear how you do with the sst's I've developed a load for my 7mm08 that makes 1 ragged hole at 100 yds, i haven't taken it out to any distance yet, but i have shot large deer with that bullet and will go with that one this year. But I'm very interested in how you do with the sst. thanks!

I killed a mountain goat last year @300 yards with the 123 SST in a 260 rem hit him twice for good measure didn't want him going over the cliff. Both rounds were under the hide on the other side fully expanded I was really impressed with the mushroom of the bullet it shed about 30% and the rest stayed together just like there supposed to.

Attachments

• 100_1674.jpg
    100_1674.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 157
I've killed 4 Deer with Amax's, 2 with 140's out of a .260 and 1 with a 105 out of a .243. 2 DRT, 1 ran under 20 yards and the 4th ran under 25 yards. All were lung shots. The farthest shot 135 yards, nice big bodied 6 point, DRT, 105. My brother has killed 3-5 deer every year with his .243 and 105 Amax all DRT but 1, it went 10 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts