308 168grain AMAX for deer 100-400 yards Comments please

MagTen

Took my new Remington M700 VSF 308 to range again today. Blistering good groups @ 200 yards with BLC2 and 168 grain AMAXs. I have heard differing results using a semi-target bullet for hunting. 165 grain ABs with same powder were scattered. Your ideas.

Took my new Remington M700 VSF 308 to range again today. Blistering good groups @ 200 yards with BLC2 and 168 grain AMAXs. I have heard differing results using a semi-target bullet for hunting. 165 grain ABs with same powder were scattered. Your ideas.

SST bullets may be a good one to try. i have heard good things about them. I am reluctant to recommend target bullets for the 308 as i have watched my brother pinhole a buck at 411 with a SMK and it was not pretty. Perfect double lung shot though.

The last 6 tags I've filled have been filled with 168 Amaxes out of a 30-06 from 50-525 yards. Shot placement could have been better on a couple of them but they all had one thing in common it dropped them in their tracks, two deer and 4 goats.
The Amax has shown its ability to expand but I don't yet know what happens when you hit bone going in or just how deep it will go?????
I would rather use a partition myself but this dang 06 only likes the Amax. Hoping to find out what it does to a cow elk this sunday.

I shot one of the largest NC bucks I've ever taken with a 155gr A-Max from a .308 win at 200 yds. Shot him face-on in the center of his chest. One big leap and it was over.

I have also taken a truck load of whitetails with the 162gr A-Max fired from a custom 7 STW. Shoulder shots resulted in a bang-flop every time regardless of distance. Shots behind the shoulder dropped some on the spot while others ran 30-40yds. All had silver dollar size exit holes.

Never lost a single animal to the A-Max bullet!!

It's been my experience that they work really well. There is a tendency to knock a big exit hole but worth it for extreme accuracy. Where you hit them is the most important part of the equation regardless what you're using.

Absolutely! For me It's been One of the very best bullets for deer! They expand well to around 1200 fps, are deadly accurate and flat out put the hurt on deer! So you can use them well past 400 yards.

I have found my deer hunting bullet. The Barnes 308 168 grain TTSX gave me best and great groups with BLC2 being a little tighter than Varget. We also shot 2 loads into our water jugs.. The Hornady 168 grain Interlock is not so interlocked but it did penetrate into the 6th. jug. The Barnes mushroomed perfect and went into 7th. jug.

Barnes308BLC2.jpg

Barnes308Varget.jpg

Barnes-Interlock.jpg

Attached are two photos of 4 different slugs shot into water jugs at reduced powder charges. One of the Barnes TTSX is maximum load. Trying to simulate what the slug would do if shot at deer/antelope at 300 yards. The AMAX still flew apart at 2600fps. AMAX load we could not find any lead except bits and very small pieces. The Interlock did well and penetrated 6 jugs. The AMAX penetrated 3 jugs. Both Barnes went into 7th & 8th jugs.
I videoed all shots in Slo-Mo but came out blurred a little and will do again. Interesting results on explosions.
Barnes-TTSX-168.jpg

Barnes-TTSX-AB.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.