110 V-Max and 300WM

ATH

The 300WM is all I have, ok? ;D

I have some 110gr V-Max as this seems the most explosive .308 bullet I could find. My main concern is limiting the travel of the bullet after impact with either coyote or ground. I don't care if the coyote is vaporized on impact. Any experiences or loads appreciated. I have Re22 and IMR 4831 on hand, plan on some loads I found for 4831.

Yes, the 110 vmax is a about the best exploding round I could find. I shoot it in my 300wsm using H380 or Varget.

I found wonderful

accuracy and "explosiveness " using the 110 vmax over a healthy dose of IMR 4350. Velocity out of my 11 twist Broughton bbl is avg 3650 fps. At 700 yds with no wind the pd's were flying high as fast as I could acquire a new target .

One inch groups at 300 were common . I seat them very shallow in the neck , approx .3/16th .

jimmba

Thanks guys. I loaded up two different powder charges three rounds each this morning; hopefully I can get them on paper yet tonight.

I hope those bullets like some jump, they were not long enough to even grip the case at my normal ogive-measured OAL.

Don't seat them too shallow! I was messing around one time trying to get them closer to the rifleing -- BIG NO NO. The gun stunk, and it sounded wierd, when I ejected the round I noticed it was a little sooty. Shot another one, same thing. So I just thought about it for a second and looked my rifle over. Here, what was happening was the bullet was getting popped out of the case before propper pressure was built up to seal the case to the walls of the chamber. Gas was escaping through the bolt and through the safety port (which was just covered in black soot). I'm glad I was wearing my safety glasses cuz I did have a little soot on my face too. It wasn't even a hot load at all. But the moral of the story is that you have to seat bullets deeper than .01! kinda stupid little lesson I learned there! oh well, live and learn (hopefully lol). One of those times I had to reach around and grab my head and pull.

I made sure they had decent seating depth. I figured I could not get them the normal close jump to the lands, so I'd at least make sure they seated ok.

The groups were decent. The book was max at 76.0gr IMR 4831, and my gun has run low pressure with every load I've ever run in it, so I tried 75.5 then 76.0. 76.0 grouped tighter, about an inch at 100yds, but I still have a ways to go as the bolt throw was really, really light. I'm going to work up a little higher and see how it goes. Velocity was 3390 fps when book with 76.0gr was 3600+.

Does your rifle have a 26 " barrel, a 22" barrel could account for the reduction in speed.

110 grain Sierra hollow points; "flying trash cans"

I used to use these little guys in my 308 with good results.

A guy told me about a pistol bullet in 30 cal (something like 90-110 grain) that will also work and tolerate the high twist rates. I never used them but the claim was they were absolutely devastating on little vermin.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.