10mm handgun

I'm not really a Sigger, but-

Wife and I each have an xTen. She has pretty small hands, it fits her very well, she can reach the trigger and all the controls without shifting her grip, and she is able to shoot it very well. Pretty amazing for a double stack 10mm to fit someone with such small hands.

I got one first, she liked it so much I figured I'd better get her one too, or lose mine.

Shoots great, I *am* leery about the propensity for the P320s to fire when dropped, there is a lot of documentation that they do, so there's that.

Additionally, they totally blew it on the magazine design. Many wide, flat nose bullets (like one would use for bear defense) bind up in the magazine. the corners of the wide noses rub the corners of the magazine. Even Sig's *own* "Sig Elite" 180gr JHPs give trouble, because of the wide hollow point.

I load my own, so seating the bullets .010" or so deeper solves the problem, but if you're going strictly factory ammo, you'll have to choose (and test) your ammo carefully.

The gun is a bit under-sprung for heavy (real 10mm) loads with the stock 18.5 lb captured recoil spring. I found that the steel guide rod Sig puts in the X-Five and Legion series guns, which utilizes 1911 springs- works just fine (even though Sig says it absolutely will not)

I've got it running well with a 20# or 22# spring, cant decide which I like better.
What are you loading for it that works? I shoot the 200gr HC from Rimrock bullets (the same bullet as the buffalo bore 220, just 20gr lighter). I'm moving those at about 1150 with a mild load of blue dot in my XDm. It did well handling some quite hot rounds. I think I could get it to 1200 without issue if I tried.

Agreed, however a deep, permanent, wide wound channel offers the possibility of breaking some of the necessary bone structure needed to continue a meaning full attack.

I still believe that 1 or 2 pretty well placed shoots with a large diameter, heavy, flat nosed bullet is superior to attempting to get as many rounds into the fight as is possible!

Obviously, we all do not view things through the same eyes! memtb
Since 2007 I've had 4 friends involved in grizzly attacks in WY. Only one of those situations allowed enough time and space to shoot multiple rounds from rifles. That sow became visible at around 30 yds and died at the feet of two people shooting big center fire. The others were all bowhunting and had even less time and space. One person was actually stalked and ambushed by a male and never even got his gun out of the holster because the bear came out of thick willows and pulled him into a tree by his face. The chance of breaking down a bear at close range with anything other than multiple rifle shots is not realistic. Its head and face and penetration is king. The most recent encounter last fall had two shooters and the empty casings from the 10mm were behind the terminal location of the bear. It is not common to have time to plan and aim well.

Have you tried the Razco attached to a bino harness? I've had good luck with that. I don't care for it on my stone glacier harness though. The top clips can come unbuckled when jumping or running. I'll probably have to switch back to me FHF or try a marsupial or something else this year.
I have not tried it but was down to SLC at the Western Hunting Expo a couple weeks ago and the Razco fellas were there, I looked at their stuff and was intrigued. Took a card from them.

I see that Gunfighters Inc just came out with something similar that rides below your bino harness as well. It has a backer that rides behind the bino harness and stiffens the whole deal. Might be a good way to go as well.

I have not tried it but was down to SLC at the Western Hunting Expo a couple weeks ago and the Razco fellas were there, I looked at their stuff and was intrigued. Took a card from them.

I see that Gunfighters Inc just came out with something similar that rides below your bino harness as well. It has a backer that rides behind the bino harness and stiffens the whole deal. Might be a good way to go as well.

Exactly! Generally a charge involves the bear coming in head first…..if cool, calm, and collected, you may, just might get one or two shots on the large head at just a few feet away! Hitting that head at a few feet is your best and likely your only chance! JMO memtb

What are you loading for it that works? I shoot the 200gr HC from Rimrock bullets (the same bullet as the buffalo bore 220, just 20gr lighter). I'm moving those at about 1150 with a mild load of blue dot in my XDm. It did well handling some quite hot rounds. I think I could get it to 1200 without issue if I tried.
I am loading 200gr hard cast of unknown manufacture, someone gave me a big box of them. Their profile looks about like the Rimrock. I just seat them a bit deeper than SAAMI spec and no problems.

Also loading 140 Barnes solid copper hollow points, getting like 1420fps. They have a big ol wide hollow point and need to be seated a bit deeper to function in the xTen as well.

Any bullet that doesn't have a really wide flat nose is no problem.

Here's the Barnes 140s. See through the mag catch hole how the corner of the bullet is almost rubbing the inside corner of the magazine? The only reason its not is because I loaded them short. Factory Buffalo Bore 220 (and even Sig's 180gr HPs) are a no go, they stick in the mag and the follower can't push them up. Way to go, Sig.

Attachments

• 20240229_182006.jpg
    20240229_182006.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 29
I am loading 200gr hard cast of unknown manufacture, someone gave me a big box of them. Their profile looks about like the Rimrock. I just seat them a bit deeper than SAAMI spec and no problems.

Also loading 140 Barnes solid copper hollow points, getting like 1420fps. They have a big ol wide hollow point and need to be seated a bit deeper to function in the xTen as well.

Any bullet that doesn't have a really wide flat nose is no problem.

Here's the Barnes 140s. See through the mag catch hole how the corner of the bullet is almost rubbing the inside corner of the magazine? The only reason its not is because I loaded them short. Factory Buffalo Bore 220 (and even Sig's 180gr HPs) are a no go, they stick in the mag and the follower can't push them up. Way to go, Sig.
Howdy nieghbor . 😉

Last edited:

Getting a proper 2" molle belt gives you a lot of options. I prefer a safariland retention holster strong side because it's out of the way for archery but with a pack on you have some interference. QD clips fix that. On the outside chance you get knocked over face down you still have the ability to draw but that's just a bad situation to be firing blind behind you. The belts with a foam inner layer will stay in place over any clothing and whatever is on it is stable and doesn't feel heavy. So many options, what a time to be alive!

I have an XDM 4.5" and really like it. I am considering selling this one and getting the compact 3.8" XDME though. That way I can CCW if I feel like I need more than a 9mm. Maybe that's silly, but this close to the border, ya never know. Our main concern are kitties, tweakers, and cartel though.
I know down there I wouldn't be worried about having the 10mm and I'd probably rather be carrying a 9mm with as many rounds as possible. There's some good hunting down by the border, but it can be a little unnerving. I'm not sure what's worse, grizzly bears or the cartel.

I know down there I wouldn't be worried about having the 10mm and I'd probably rather be carrying a 9mm with as many rounds as possible. There's some good hunting down by the border, but it can be a little unnerving. I'm not sure what's worse, grizzly bears or the cartel.

Far fewer bears…..and much more civilized! 😉 memtb