10mm handgun

Do you mean this bullet/projectile?

This is not meant as a personal attack….merely an observation!

While they certainly will penetrate, with their shape they will provide minimal tissue disruption, minimal bleeding ……much like stepping on a nail.

IMO, the wound will rapidly close, with minimal hemorrhaging and tissue destruction. Unless brain or upper spinal column nerve is hit directly….it will do very little in stopping or slowing an attack! Again JMO. memtb

The underwood ammo with those bullets look impressive even with a short barreled 10mm. I'd maybe go with 185gr for the sake of heavy bone in a griz but they are fast and nasty! 1500-1600 fps and 27" penetration in gel.

If "ANYONE" thinks that they will get more than 2 or 3 shots (revolver or auto) into an attacking bear….. likely starting shooting long before the attack was imminent!

How do you spell……"justifiable shooting"! 😉 memtb
Waiting for you to come hunt with me. Lol. The griz haven't got the 83 miles to you . Yet... 😆

I agree, however, those well placed shots under duress in a fast paced situation might be the hardest part of the whole thing, therefore I'd rather have 15 rounds, plus a spare mag on my belt.
Screenshot_20240213_122553_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240213_122337_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240213_121654_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240213_122112_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
I live in wolf country, I am much more concerned about calling winter yotes off the ground and having a pack of wolves circle in. However, 16 rounds of 10mm and another 15 on hand is REALLY assuring up in the high country... Don't get into Grizzly country too often but when fishing it's VERY reassuring to have that XD in a Kenai rig ready to go....

Practice as much as you can, nice thing about have two young sons is to see which one can pull the GRIZZ target sled the fastest LOL!!

The underwood ammo with those bullets look impressive even with a short barreled 10mm. I'd maybe go with 185gr for the sake of heavy bone in a griz but they are fast and nasty! 1500-1600 fps and 27" penetration in gel.

Underwood has some very good stuff, the 140gr is what I carry when I drag my G20FS along in the woods. Here's a pretty good video, I'm sure many here have seen it before, but... for those who haven't here you go. Cheers

Been carrying a S&W 629+ it is 7 shots in .357mag, with Buff Bore 180s. Hope that stops em but a 10mm has been in the back of my mind with the extra rounds.
It will for Ca. black bears. I didn't carry a pistol for 45 years there. Come here with griz. Your mindset changes instantly. I started hunting Wy. Every year since 1983. N/W Wy. In 1998. Griz. When I moved here it scared the crap out of me a couple times. Since then I carry bear spray, 10mm pistol, long fixed blade knife and my rifle. I want every chance I can have if attacked. Sometimes I hunt alone. I take my male Chesapeake with me. His ears and eyes beat mine everyone. 😉

I live in wolf country, I am much more concerned about calling winter yotes off the ground and having a pack of wolves circle in. However, 16 rounds of 10mm and another 15 on hand is REALLY assuring up in the high country... Don't get into Grizzly country too often but when fishing it's VERY reassuring to have that XD in a Kenai rig ready to go....

Practice as much as you can, nice thing about have two young sons is to see which one can pull the GRIZZ target sled the fastest LOL!!

Soooooo, how close do ya let the sled get before you sidestep! Trying to keep the "charge" realistic! 😜 memtb