10mm handgun barrel

KSB209

This might be the wrong place to ask but....

Just bought a Glock 20 which is a 10mm handgun. I plan on using it as my carry gun when I am in the field. I was going to keep it loaded with Buffalo Bore hard cast rounds in case I run into a large animal. I was told that I should change out the factory barrel if I plan on shooting hard cast bullets out of it. Anyone know if that is true or not? A new barrel is relatively cheap insurance if it will function better than the stock barrel.

If you plan to shoot hardcast for defense performance is more about bullet design than pure speed alone. Do some searching and you will find the buffalo bore and underwood hardcast offerings are both less than ideal bullet designs especially compared to the double tap offering. Let me be clear I am in no way affiliated with double tap but I feel very strongly about this subject when people may truly have to defend their lives with a bullet. Double tap originally used the beartooth bullet then made a mold of their own which is essentially a copy of that bullet. You will not shoot Box flap speeds with double tap but it functions perfectly in a stock barrel in the 200 grain weight and the bullet is the best option out there in the hardcast options for 10mm. Now don't go and shoot hardcast all day but a 15 round mag or two won't blow you up. Just make sure to clean all the lead out after you shoot hardcast or shoot a few hardcast then some jacketed to blow the lead out. I've shot several hundred double tap 200 gr WFNGC hardcast from my gen 3 glock 20 with no issues. I did change out the spring to a 22 pound and stainless guide rod but that might not be an option anymore. Spend the money you save not buying a barrel and get plenty of the ammo you plan to shoot for defense and shoot a lot. Get some cheaper stuff so you don't have to shoot hardcast all the time either. If you insist on a barrel a lonewolf 6" works well. I believe storm lake and KKM are both good as well and I couldn't tell you which is best out of those. I doubt any would be as reliable long term as the glock barrel. Glocks just always shoot which is what matters when you have to have it.

morning, I have 3 10mm. 2 glock's and 1 colt delta elite. I swapped the

glock barrels for lone wolf 6". shoot blazer 200gr. and bitterroot valley

185gr HP. the barrel swap was personnel preference. glock firearms r

the best for reliability, hunting and self defense. the stock glock barrels

r very reliable. I have 2 glock 40's. 1 long slide 1 regular, 1 45cal. wolf

6" barrel. thk. u lightbulb:)gun)

The old don't shoot lead from a glock thing. The issue is soft lead bullets and hot-ish powders can lead the snot out of the barrel just in front of the chamber reducing its diameter and increasing pressures to dangerous levels. In 20 years I've never seen any failures from dropping a couple mags of hard cast through one. In my own glocks I load Bear Creek moly coated cast lead to top velocities with no leading. I recently ran 500 rounds of cast lead bullets through it in one day split between my own DIY hard cast bullets and Bear Creek bullets with no signs of leading. Really soft bullets I've had leading problems with. Looked like a trail of solder down the bottom of my bore. Hard cast, nah. YMMV and I do periodically pull the slide off to check for problems. Hey, just because it's never happened to anyone I know of doesn't mean it can't.

FWIW, Lehigh Defense has a 140gn Extreme Penetrator at 1200fps. It's not as fast as it could be but it's plenty and controllable. It's a stone cold killer of a bullet & feeds well in my G20.

I have lone wolf barrels but only for calibers my glocks didn't come in.

So I talked to someone at Lone Wolf today. They are not making the standard barrel anymore for many guns. They are now making the Alpha Wolf barrels which are fluted. Who needs a fluted barrel for a hand gun??

My favorite load by far for the 10 is the Underwood 200 XTP. Nothing touches it for expansion, penetration, and price

If you roll your own the bear tooth bullets are the best I have used for my Glock 20. They are well worth the wait. Close second is the 200 grainer from double tap. They are very similar in design and will get the job done on big critters.

Reuben

I swapped out my stock barrel to Double diamond (lone wolf) to shoot hot cast loads through due to the factory barrel leading a bit. I will say for ultimate reliability its hard to beat the stock barrel for feeding. The aftermarket barrels with tighter chambers seem to be more finicky and you have to have your oal dialed in. Im running 200gr hardcast with 10.5gr Blue Dot. Havent had a chance to test on a bear yet but they go through wild hogs like butter and bury in the ground behind them.

I swapped out my stock barrel to Double diamond (lone wolf) to shoot hot cast loads through due to the factory barrel leading a bit. I will say for ultimate reliability its hard to beat the stock barrel for feeding. The aftermarket barrels with tighter chambers seem to be more finicky and you have to have your oal dialed in. Im running 200gr hardcast with 10.5gr Blue Dot. Havent had a chance to test on a bear yet but they go through wild hogs like butter and bury in the ground behind them.

I also experienced some finicky feeding after installing a Lone Wolf barrel. I tried polishing the chamber along with a few other tricks to increase the reliability but it would commonly choke on heavy cast loads. It was better with copper jacketed, but not 100%. In searching for ways to remedy the problem, I installed a 22 lb recoil spring from Glockmaster. Since installing the new spring, my G20 is 100% reliable with any barrel and any load. I'm currently running a KKM barrel.

The stock barrel will feed anything you put in the mag due to the more open chamber. My lonewolf barrel was finnicky as well but after about a 100 rounds it feeds and cycles just fine. Although, I had to load the cast 200 grainers to 1.250" OAL and crimp to .419" for 100% reliability.

Reuben

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.