100 gr bullet for .308"?

bowhunthard88

Hello all,

I'm from NJ, and our game regulations s**k. If you are using a .30 cal rifle or larger, your bullets have to be 100 gr or less. You also can only use rifles for woodchucks on private or federal land. Anyway...don't get me started!!!

Does anyone know of a decent .308" 100 gr bullet that would work on varmints and be semi-accurate? Or is this too much to ask, lol.

Thanks.

gun)--------Gov. Corzine :(-<---<

Lowest I have ever gone is 105 cast bullet. Suppose you could lighten it up with more tin. Very accurate to 200 yards. Have not shot cast bullets further than that.

I am pretty sure speer makes or made a 100gr 30 cal. I think it is called a plinker and has a freaky design, like half jacketed with a lead nose.

Hello all,

I'm from NJ, and our game regulations s**k. If you are using a .30 cal rifle or larger, your bullets have to be 100 gr or less. You also can only use rifles for woodchucks on private or federal land. Anyway...don't get me started!!!

Does anyone know of a decent .308" 100 gr bullet that would work on varmints and be semi-accurate? Or is this too much to ask, lol.

Thanks.

gun)--------Gov. Corzine :(-<---<

Four years ago I got some 80 gr. .308 cal bullets from Richard Graves to try out. IIRC I tried them in my 300 WM pd gun and they were OK, but not what I was after at the time. I think they would be "semi-accurate".

I still have ten left. If you want to try them, PM me with your address and I will send them to you.

I don't know if Richard is still in business or what????

I know this is really crazy, but if I was in your state, I would be trying to make my own. Not from scratch, but I would take something like the 110 Vmax and cut off the plastic tip, and weigh the thing. I am assuming this won't be enough, but you don't have to stop there. I would chuck a few in my lathe and cut them back until I got to 99 grains. If you don't have a lathe handy, file the front off until you get there. Load them up and see what you get. What have you waisted, a few bullets and a little time.

I have shot V-max before with the tips nocked off. Couldn't tell any difference.

The pds won't be able to tell you either.......

Jim

Does Remy still make the 55 gr Accelerator for the 308? I still have a couple boxes for my 30.06. Accuracy is not as good in the 06 as 125 gr NBTips, but might prove interesting if they are still available. Gives my 243 a little cooling time.
Bear2

Screenshot_20230828-084007.png

Old thread lol. I've shot the Lapua CE bullets with spectacular terminal results, and I've also loaded "accelerators". I've since moved out of NJ and also to more efficient calibers for this purpose! Thank you for putting this here though, as I evidently haven't updated the thread with options.

Old thread lol. I've shot the Lapua CE bullets with spectacular terminal results, and I've also loaded "accelerators". I've since moved out of NJ and also to more efficient calibers for this purpose! Thank you for putting this here though, as I evidently haven't updated the thread with options.
Yeah I know it's old. But these things are great. Doesn't take much to send them 3250 fps

The world has changed a lot since 2009.

HAMMER!