1" tube

rcoody

Trying to build a reasonably lightweight rifle. The kind of hunting I do entails lots of hiking. Most shots will be close. Probably under 100 yards. Thick country. With occasional open areas that might offer a 400 yd shot

This is a grendel AR and the usual target will be hogs and coyotes. Not a primary hunting rifle at all.

Looking at the leupold vx-3i 3.5-10 CDS. Only weighs 13 Oz but it has a 1" tube. Maybe it is.just.me. I know I have had many scopes with 1" tubes in the past. I guess looking at all the 30 mm tunes recently it makes those 1" tubes look like a rimfire scope.

How do you guys feel about the 1" tube

Trying to build a reasonably lightweight rifle. The kind of hunting I do entails lots of hiking. Most shots will be close. Probably under 100 yards. Thick country. With occasional open areas that might offer a 400 yd shot

This is a grendel AR and the usual target will be hogs and coyotes. Not a primary hunting rifle at all.

Looking at the leupold vx-3i 3.5-10 CDS. Only weighs 13 Oz but it has a 1" tube. Maybe it is.just.me. I know I have had many scopes with 1" tubes in the past. I guess looking at all the 30 mm tunes recently it makes those 1" tubes look like a rimfire scope.

How do you guys feel about the 1" tube

The other day on a hunting trip I accidentally breathed on my scope. This was when I was trying to put a finisher in a deer. When I got home I replaced it with a 1" Bushnell 4200 4-16X40. One day at the range I took three out of the car: A Weaver, a Nikon, and a Bushnell. The first two immediately fogged. The Bushnell didn't.

There will be a 1" Bushnell 4200 4-16X40 on my .300 Blackout (sub-sonic only) when the "can" gets here.

I have two 1" tube scopes. One is a Weaver Tactical 3-10 and another is a older Nikon Buckmaster 4-14 Side focus. Both have survived a few scope liquidations out of my safe... I don't see getting rid of them anytime soon..

The majority of rifles in the field are 1" tubes, I don't hear the majority complaining about that 1" being a factor.

For lightweight its almost inevitable you will have a 1" tube, I'd also consider less power if most of your shots are under 100yds. I'd imagine a 2.5 or 2x variable might suite you fine and cut more weight.

There is nothing wrong with a 1" tube on a rifle scope. The only thing a 30mm tube has over a 1" is a little extra windage and elevation adjustment room. Having said that, most higher end glass comes in the 30mm but sight picture is in the eye of the beholder. I have a few 30mm tubes on my rifles but have 1" tubes on some also and it doesn't make me feel like I need to upgrade. At one time I had 1" tubes on my hunting rifles and made shots on running deer from 500-600 yds and never had second thoughts about needing something else. Buying a 1" tube scope is not settling for something inferior.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.