1 piece vs 2 piece bases

Many one piece require bedding. Insert the screws in one end,, snug 'um down and look for that "light gap" in the other end. There's a lot of power in screw threads, even those little #6-48s.....

Many one piece require bedding. Insert the screws in one end,, snug 'um down and look for that "light gap" in the other end. There's a lot of power in screw threads, even those little #6-48s.....

Agreed! Both of the Savages in the pictures I provided were bedded; not bad but I went ahead and did it anyways.

I've swapped almost every rifle I own to a picatinny rail setup. It adds rigidly and strength to the action, while it also allows for a truer alignment without needing to use any specialty alignment tools other than a level to level your crosshairs. Personally, I use a Badger Ordnance Dead Level, but for folks who don't do a lot of scope mounting, or only own a couple rifles, the cost wouldn't be worth the money to buy one of those.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.