“best” long action option

I have a lot of dummy rounds in the shop for testing magazine function. The bullets will fall out sometimes. You only have to cycle a cartridge a few times for it to happen sometimes. When your cycling cartridges, especially ones with bullets seated long your putting side pressure on the bullet from the feed ramp and chamber, this is effecting neck tension, which is not good for accuracy.

Thanks for all the input! I actually messed up on my thread title (long day...), I was directing it more toward a cartridge pro/con. I was looking for the cartridge with the best (maximum) long range performance out of a standard magnum action. I'm not above doing a wildcat as long as the gains are measureable over a readily available alternative. I was a bit perplexed when I glanced over the replies this morning until I reread my title, I like the direction it took though.

A couple other considerations; I prefer a repeater, but not a deal breaker. Remington is not even a consideration... Best, not necessarily best value, with the caveat I will be doing this piecemeal as I can save the $ (hide the $ from the wife;))

No matter how much time and money you put into a Remy, its still a Remy, and it will never equal a custom or hold its resale like a custom. Plus they don't seem to handle pressure like a custom.

You shouldn't be running a Rem or a custom over SAAMI pressure anyway so that's a moot point.

I have done a lot of nice Remingtons, I have put more work into some of them for myself then I could ever charge a customer to do. No matter what you do to them, you can't get them to take the pressure of a good custom. I just dont recommend them any more. Best and cheapest dont go together. So are we after "best" or "best value"? And I wouldn't even consider a 338 edge on a repeater...

Best and Best Value do go together...show me a hunting rifle based on a BAT, Defiance, GAP etc that shoots consistently better than one built on a Stiller, or Rem or Browning or Savage...aside from aesthetics, they are all perfectly acceptable for a hunting rifle...I won't spend over $950 on an action these days, nothing out there is worth the extra money.

I was just reading this and thinking? A big single shot would be fine.
When I'm shooting I single load like 99% of the time I very rarely use the magazines.
And I like to pick the empty case out not fling it in the dirt?

You shouldn't be running a Rem or a custom over SAAMI pressure anyway so that's a moot point.
How do you know your running over saami pressure if you havent got any way to test it? Each barrel is different, reamer design are different, if you dont have away your just guessing.

why would you throw stiller in the mix with rem ? the mag action is over 1000..three times the base rem.
and sorry but you are dead *** wrong.
the us navy SEALS started with 700's with some work and quickly saw the light and moved on to a custom stiller action. you really think the SEALS cannot tell the difference ? the army just bought the same rifle( MK13).
your OPINION is not backed by facts.
i am not saying you cannot make a 700/sav shoot, but when it comes to competition or a quick followup shot they fall short. and lower pressure limits limit what they can handle.

Best and Best Value do go together...show me a hunting rifle based on a BAT, Defiance, GAP etc that shoots consistently better than one built on a Stiller, or Rem or Browning or Savage...aside from aesthetics, they are all perfectly acceptable for a hunting rifle...I won't spend over $950 on an action these days, nothing out there is worth the extra money.

why would you throw stiller in the mix with rem ? the mag action is over 1000..three times the base rem.
and sorry but you are dead --- wrong.
the us navy SEALS started with 700's with some work and quickly saw the light and moved on to a custom stiller action. you really think the SEALS cannot tell the difference ? the army just bought the same rifle( MK13).
your OPINION is not backed by facts.
i am not saying you cannot make a 700/sav shoot, but when it comes to competition or a quick followup shot they fall short. and lower pressure limits limit what they can handle.

Show me a hunting rifle that is so much better on a BAT etc compared to a Rem (or any factory action) based rifle...you can't.

If you want to overpay for a name and "cool factor" at the range then go right ahead.

How do you know your running over saami pressure if you havent got any way to test it? Each barrel is different, reamer design are different, if you dont have away your just guessing.

The same way that you think a Rem can't handle the pressures of a custom I suppose...

I have been looking at building a new (semi-heavy) long range rifle, and there are just too many options anymore! I am looking at a long (magnum) action appropriate for the RUMs. I have plenty of hunting rifles and don't compete, this would be a just-for-the-fun-of-it rifle that I may hunt with. I have went through most of the ballistics of most of the calibers available and decided that the .338 (RUM, Edge...)is probably where I want to be to maximize the range potential of the maximum cartridge size available in this action length. Currently I am leaning toward the 338 Edge using an APR action, ADG brass, probably a Proof barrel (maybe PacNor instead), a manners stock, and Wyatt magazine box.

Basically I am trying to maximize the ballistic performance of a standard magnum action without anything too crazy. I have considered 338 RUM, 338 Edge, 338 Norma, 375 RUM, 375 H&H Imp, etc. Any other ideas?

Is there something specific that you have in mind to hunt? From what you have thought about, I suspect that you reload. Are you recoil sensitive, any of these cartridges are going to tap you a bit. I read where you are thinking the RUM cartridges, however for just for-fun-shooting how about the Sherman cartridges, .338 Sherman 250gr@ 2900fps, the 338-06AI is another good round. For me just for fun shooting means not getting my teeth or jaw adjusted every time I pull the trigger. IMHO

some of you have detoured
he said FUN rifle.....that he MAY hunt with...HE HAS HUNTING RIFLES...
FUN is the name of the game for this rifle.

you do realize YOU proved OUR point when YOU added STILLER to your list ?
stiller is a custom action not a $300/400 rem factory action.
the cheapest stiller magnum hunting action is $995...but adding bottom metal and a mag makes it another $315...$1300 plus shipping .
same price for a similar tac300 mag.
your choice

You do not analyze actions by building a hunting rifle and shooting it. You do it by understanding what design aspects contribute to accuracy, and measuring out 100s of actions to see a trend in who can consistently produce an action thats straight and true. It is my full time business to analyze actions and find the very best to build my rifles off of, because they have to win matches at the highest level. Not understanding the difference doesn't mean there isn't one.