Would You Use a 280 AI For Elk

I shoot bullets by every manufacturer. I am a big fan of the Barnes ttsx type bullets. The new 7mm 168 grain they introduced at the shot show this year is a great bullet with a bc higher than listed. It would make the 280 AI or any 7mm lethal on anything in North America. I got some of the first ones from Barnes direct and they shoot great. It will prove to be a great hunting bullet this season when a few critters start to fall with it.

Yes, i won't leave home without my 280AI. But (imo) 600yds is pushing it, with the loads i was using and a 168gr berger i was under 1k lbs of energy at 450yds. I like a 140gr bullet out of it, real fast and cares the energy further down range.

I dont know what load you are shooting but by 280 drops below 1000lbs at 1200 yards shooting 168 bergers at 2900 fps. I would have to shoot them 2000 fps to be below 1000flbs at 450. I have killed a few elk with mine and it will be fine at 600.

I shoot bullets by every manufacturer. I am a big fan of the Barnes ttsx type bullets. The new 7mm 168 grain they introduced at the shot show this year is a great bullet with a bc higher than listed. It would make the 280 AI or any 7mm lethal on anything in North America. I got some of the first ones from Barnes direct and they shoot great. It will prove to be a great hunting bullet this season when a few critters start to fall with it.

I dont know what load you are shooting but by 280 drops below 1000lbs at 1200 yards shooting 168 bergers at 2900 fps. I would have to shoot them 2000 fps to be below 1000flbs at 450. I have killed a few elk with mine and it will be fine at 600.
I picked up on that lack of energy as well! That's a mighty reduced load! Having said that, I have killed over 25 bulls with my 6.5 A.I. and Sherman out to 600 yards and wouldn't hesitate to extend that. Zero issues shooting with the 280 a.i. at 600 yards.....rich

Posted this on another thread with no response...

Curious what the draw of the 280 AI is. I have a 260 AI, but I was looking to squeeze a little more out of a short action. Other than the novelty why not just go 7 RM? The difference on performance isn't that much. Is it just for guys who like to tinker with something different (I can relate to that) or is there some other advantage I'm missing?

Less powder same power

Standard boltface If you have a 270or 30/06 or what ever you are re-barreling, less recoil

I think most experienced hunters agree that bullet placement is at least equall in importance to cartridge and bullet type for elk. If you can consistently place your bullet inside a pie plate at 400-600 yds uphill or downhill you will have a high percent of one shot kills on elk with a 280AI. If you can't hit the boiler room you will need more shots and elk get tuff when you miss no matter what you are shooting. The 150 or 160 gr Accubond is my favorite for both elk and big mule deer. Strong bullet, good expansion, and excellent velocity for 3-500 yd shots with 280 AI. Bigger gun not necessary and my hunt partner only shoots a 270 130 gr bullet for 30 yrs..but he places well, selects premium bullet and shoots up to 400 yds on elk. Good hunting

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.