which caliber would you use?

zuba

I have a savage 110 sitting here. I have been debating what to do with it. I would kind of like to keep it a repeater, but thats not set in stone. I'm looking to build something that will cover everything my 7wsm pistol wont(700+). I'm stuck on going with a 338, either the edge or the rum. Or a big 7mm to shoot the 200 wildcats. What would you choose and why?

My suggestion would be the .338 Edge. I have put one of these together and long range accuracy and performance is exceptional. While the only "animals" that have been shot are metalic silhouette rams, not one has failed to fall, even out to 1400 plus yards.

While I have reservations about shooting live animals at extended ranges due to many variables and vagaries in conditions and ballistics that can, and almost certainly will result in wounded and lost game, your best bet is to always use the largest calibr, heaviest bullet that you can handle with absolute confidence.

Only one 110...slacker:D
Got the same problem right now exept there are 2 110s, a Ruger with some rifleing missing from a 308Baer barrel and a Pistol that will not shoot that far the way it is.
For me the answer is simple as long as Momma dont find out just how much overtime pays? Not nessisarly in this order
#1 Put a brake on the 30-06 Striker and a rifle scope=should get me to 700 too?
#2 Have the 30" 338 barrel I bought last week chambered/brake to 338Edge and fitted to the Ruger=Should be able to salvage enough of the 308 barrel for a spare for the Stiker?
#3 Decide who's perfit varmint contour barrel in 6.5/284 to put on the one 110 for a long range dogger= Hopeing to salvage the old 6.5/284 barrel for a Grendle barrel for the 527CZ??
#4 The other 110 will get its 7-08 sporter barrel rechambered/recrowned to 284.
The Ruger was set as a single shot (single shot follower bedded in the stock) and will remain that way as I dont see the need for a repeating +600 yard gun. The Edge is simple enough to set up and in this case the barrel is too heavy to thread on a Savage action.
Had another 110 action/stock slated for the Edge project but turned it into a 25-06 for a friend in need of a deer/goat gun, shoots great and he couldnt be happier!
What I would not do is set up a long range gun for one bullet.
Hope putting this plan in writing helps you as much as it did me:D

Last edited:
MachV, those are the right kind of problems to have!!! I was praying that someone would buy that barrel!
bigngreen, thanks alot... Now I gotta research everything :)

Only one 110...slacker:D
Got the same problem right now exept there are 2 110s, a Ruger with some rifleing missing from a 308Baer barrel and a Pistol that will not shoot that far the way it is.
For me the answer is simple as long as Momma dont find out just how much overtime pays? Not nessisarly in this order
#1 Put a brake on the 30-06 Striker and a rifle scope=should get me to 700 too?
#2 Have the 30" 338 barrel I bought last week chambered/brake to 338Edge and fitted to the Ruger=Should be able to salvage enough of the 308 barrel for a spare for the Stiker?
#3 Decide who's perfit varmint contour barrel in 6.5/284 to put on the one 110 for a long range dogger= Hopeing to salvage the old 6.5/284 barrel for a Grendle barrel for the 527CZ??
#4 The other 110 will get its 7-08 sporter barrel rechambered/recrowned to 284.
The Ruger was set as a single shot (single shot follower bedded in the stock) and will remain that way as I dont see the need for a repeating +600 yard gun. The Edge is simple enough to set up and in this case the barrel is too heavy to thread on a Savage action.
Had another 110 action/stock slated for the Edge project but turned it into a 25-06 for a friend in need of a deer/goat gun, shoots great and he couldnt be happier!
What I would not do is set up a long range gun for one bullet.
Hope putting this plan in writing helps you as much as it did me:D

before I'd build a 6.5/.284, I'd build a 6.5-06. You see close to double the barrel life, and cases are easy to form with standard dies. Also the 6.5-06 neck works much better with very long and heavy bullets. Better yet would be a 6.5-06AI. Of course you could just set the Savage up as a switch barrel gun with one barrel in .338-06AI, and the other in 6.5-06AI
gary

before I'd build a 6.5/.284, I'd build a 6.5-06. You see close to double the barrel life, and cases are easy to form with standard dies. Also the 6.5-06 neck works much better with very long and heavy bullets. Better yet would be a 6.5-06AI. Of course you could just set the Savage up as a switch barrel gun with one barrel in .338-06AI, and the other in 6.5-06AI
gary

Please dont confuse the monkey with facts when he has a plan:)

Juba
Are you gonna have a smith put the 338 together or are you looking to have a prefit made up and do it yourself?

I'm not sure. I could go either way, I'm going to have a brake installed so it'll end up at the smith anyways. Or I might rebarrel my pistol in something bigger and sell the rifle to cover some of the costs...

Matt
E-mail Doug Miceli as he was the first to put the 338 Norma in a handgun. I think that he has a 23" barrel on this handgun though and it has been several months since I spoke to him, I think he is getting under the 338 Edge velocities with the longer barrel.

338X375 Ruger is a good round, basically duplicating the 340 Weatherby.

I was shooting the Edge yesterday and to date none of the above equals the Edge at any range and I still would not go another route. 338 Campfire/338X375 Ruger is an exciting round every way you look at it.

Neal

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.