Would you be happy with a 270-08 AI ?

For a while now I've been thinking about the possibility of building a light weight "all round" hunting rifle in 270-08 AI. I know there are other options out there, but this one sounds like it'd be fun to load for, and the components don't seem to have been affected as much by the on going "shortage" as other calibers. And, not the least, prices for it are relatively reasonable. One drawback might be the length of time it would take to obtain the dies. So what do you think? Could you have fun with a rifle like this, or would it be a waste of time?
Waste of time!!!! To what does it have to offer combined that either parent cartridge doesn't alone? Other than saying I did something new...which may be satisfying enough I understand that...but the 300 win already sits in that next hole and no complications or wait times....just me

Of Course, you could have fun with what you are thinking and it be very unique for sure!!! but please know that Weatherby makes/made an light weight , 5 and 3/4 pound rifle called Weatherby Ultralight Rifle. Catchy name!! I have seen several in 30 -06 and 270 Win. Mine is chambered in 270 Win. It comes with a thin 24 inch Fluted stainless steel barrel and is a great light weight deer rifle. So, you can buy a light weight easy to shoot, easy to carry rifle, with a barrel length that allows you get all the velocity from the 270 Win , (Excellent Deer Cartridge) or , you can make your own!! Either way, you will have an excellent time shooting !!!

Attachments

• IMG_2569Weathwrby Ultralight Pic 1 Dec 24th  2019.JPG
    IMG_2569Weathwrby Ultralight Pic 1 Dec 24th 2019.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
I have a 260 AI at the smith's. I argued with myself whether to build a 6.5-06, 6.5-06 AI, or the 260 AI. There are a lot of cartridges in that realm with different capabilities and characteristics that make them desirable TO THE SHOOTER. If it turns your crank do it. It doesn't matter what you pick you'll have those that agree with you or those who disagree. Those who will rain you with accolades for a smart decision. And those who be insulting because they'll think it's a poor choice. That's the interwebs these days. It's different in real life lol.
1659110971197.png

For a while now I've been thinking about the possibility of building a light weight "all round" hunting rifle in 270-08 AI. I know there are other options out there, but this one sounds like it'd be fun to load for, and the components don't seem to have been affected as much by the on going "shortage" as other calibers. And, not the least, prices for it are relatively reasonable. One drawback might be the length of time it would take to obtain the dies. So what do you think? Could you have fun with a rifle like this, or would it be a waste of time?
Hey, if you like it go for it!

short or long action

Uses on a yearly basis?

I don't see how this would be a bad idea, at all. I'm a 7mm-08 lover and I own several of them and always liked the 270 Win as well. Putting them together seems like a heck if an idea. @xsn10s idea of improving the case is even better.

If you want to shoot 140gr to 150gr bullets, a short action would work. but for the heavies I am not sure.

My small experience with the VLD type bullets is that they like to be close to the lands. In my short action 7mm-08 the 168gr VLDH did not shoot well at all, but the Hybrids shoot great. Both the 168gr and 180gr VLDH shoot great out of my 7mm Rem Mag, and they both sit just 0.02" off the lands. @FEENIX is way more familiar with Bergers and he can provably share more experience with these bullets if that's what you are going for in a short action. The AMax has not cared for that, at standard COAL lenghts they shoot great. Same goes for the SST bullets.

That said, I'd go for it, just make sure you know what you want to shoot out of it so you get the right components for the build.

Just my $0.02

Luis

While it is up to each person's personal taste and creative ideas of what to expend $$ resources on, build and consider a fun cartridge, personally, I like anything that goes bang, aside from the uniqueness of the 27 Souper or 27-08, It will not do anything the versions of 260/AI or the 7-08/AI in existing short, light and handy rifles can do. There are several of these around in standard chambering and would be much easier to setback and ream to AI if desired.

YMMV

I like the idea.

I was on a .277 kick for a while and built a 270 AR, 270 WSM, 27 Nosler, 270 RUM, and a 270/338 RUM improved. They all have 7mm counter parts, some of which I have/had. The one benefit the .277 has had for the last few years has been bullet availability. I've pretty much retired my 284 Win specialty pistol for the last 2 years because it's been hard to track down the 168gr VLD target bullet that it shoots best. I've been able to take my pick of almost any .277 bullet I can dream of though. If one bullet didn't shoot well I could just buy a different one to try.

I say build it and have fun. I bet a set of 260 AI bushing dies would work with the right bushing. You can always have the barrel rechambered if you don't like it.

My opinion: It just doesn't make any sense. A standard 260 with good 6.5 bullet will outperform it all day with less recoil and without the hassle of custom reamers, dies, brass etc.

If you want to AI the 308 size case, go 260AI or 7-08AI for the better bullet selections in those bores.

If you're stuck on .277 bullets, just do a .270win.