Would you be happy with a 270-08 AI ?

Not worth the time or effort, in the hunting world you'd be far better served with a plain Jane ho-hum 7mm/08...it will handle anything that other concept will no pain or anxiety ...

A 270-08 AI has been on my list a long time, I shoot a lot of 270 and 7mms and just prefer the bullets of the 270 for hunting. Personally I'd build around the 170 Berger, I shoot the 215 Berger in my 308 and it's awesome for long range. You could run a 140 class which does well too but there are a lot of good reasons to do a 270.

Thank you for your thoughtful comment, Alibiiv. Your 270ai cartridge definitely shoots as sweet as it looks. Did you polish the chamber? I agree downloading a larger capacity cartridge would reduce recoil, but unless there's frequent cause to load to capacity it seems an inefficient technique. Also, I too have a Rem 700 BDL 30-06 which I purchased in '65 because of its versatility. I suppose I shouldn't have used the term "all round" since I'm not looking for a rifle capable of taking every type of game animal on the continent, only those I'm most likely to encounter. Here in Mississippi that, of course, is Whitetail Deer. I've lived here for 26 years but someday hope to return to my old stomping grounds of Northern California (wishful thinking, probably) where western game would be more accessible. However, this is probably blaspheme, but which animals I may or may not hunt is not as important a factor in my choice as the uniqueness of the cartridge, and the fact it rings all the right bells for diameter, case capacity, and cost - and time at the bench.
No I didn't polish the chamber only the brass. If the cases are really dirty, I will sometimes hand-chuck the case into the drill press and use Nevr-Dul on them. There have been a number of replies on here suggesting numerous ideas and thoughts. As was written in some very thoughtful replies, the only one who can make the decision is you. It took me about six-months of research online and on this forum to finally make my mind up. The one thing that I did keep in mind was that I had always wanted a "wildcat" cartridge and that is what I built. I can tell you that I could have gone with a .270 WSM and had just about what the .270 AI is, only without the extra work of fire forming, annealing, and cost for the custom dies. The .270WSM and the .270 AI are about the same ballistically, the .270 AI has a slight advantage over the .270 WSM, but comes with the extra processing for dies. Again it's your decision to make, and this is a good place to start before making that decision. Good luck with what you decide and with what you build.

Think it would be fun which to me means worth it. Despite the naysayers the 270 has as much if not more hunting bullet options as anything except 30 cal. You have cool stuff on light end driven by 6.8 spc, 270 in the middle, and now 6.8/27 nosler on heavy side. Not much for targets but who cares. Want a weak target gun, buy a 6.5:). Besides 6.8 is new military round so expect even more good 277 options down the road bullet wise

Lou

For a while now I've been thinking about the possibility of building a light weight "all round" hunting rifle in 270-08 AI. I know there are other options out there, but this one sounds like it'd be fun to load for, and the components don't seem to have been affected as much by the on going "shortage" as other calibers. And, not the least, prices for it are relatively reasonable. One drawback might be the length of time it would take to obtain the dies. So what do you think? Could you have fun with a rifle like this, or would it be a waste of time?
If it turns your crank you absolutely should do it!! I did basically the same thing with the 25 - 08 ackley improved in an 700 Remington mountain rifle I had lying around. It turned out to be a nice little rifle.