What would you do with...

petenz

A remington 700, long action, standard (.25-06/.270/280/.30-06) bolface?

Fishing for ideas, a .280AI is springing to mind, what do you think?

I'm thinking 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser sounds good. I love that round, when loaded with 140 grain VLD bullets the ballistics are very good.

What are you wanting to do with it?

a 180gr Berger launched from a 280 Ackley at around 2800fps has some very impressive balistics.

I'd love to do a 6.5-06 AI. Stoked with 130g AB or 140g VLD or AMAX, it would make a great LR deer hunting/target cartridge.

I already own a 7 RM, so doing a 280 AI doesn't really do me any good. However a 168g VLD at or near 3000fps is a dandy LR performer out to 1K.

Dont really think you can make an EDGE into a lightweight mountain rifle that you'd wanna pack up and down canyons all day. It is a dandy caliber though when matched with the 300g SMK. My 338 EDGE is one of the lighter ones that Shawn has built and it still weighs about 12.5-13 lbs w/scope, sling, bipod, scope level, ACI indicator, shells and everything else on it.

What animals are you intending to hunt? I assume deer and elk. That would play a major role in deciding which caliber you want. If elk is in the equation I would go no lower then .284" bore.

I want it to be faily light, so a big .338 or similar isn't really possible.

I live in New Zealand, hunting tahr/chamois/red deer/elk.

A remington 700, long action, standard (.25-06/.270/280/.30-06) bolface?

Fishing for ideas, a .280AI is springing to mind, what do you think?

I have a 270 and 30.06. I'm seriously considering a 280AI myself with one of my next projects now that Nosler makes the brass. And I already have a 7mm Rem Mag. For your purposes and what you list for hunting, I think you'd get your best bang with the 280AI. Stuff a good 150 grain bullet or even 140 for speed and go hunt. I'd use a 25" bbl.

I have an identical action and am getting Gabe at High Country sport to open up the bolt face for a 7 mm rem mag, fitting a 26" number 4 truflite ultra match barrel. He is also going to blue print the action and fit a sako extractor and holland recoil lug.
It's taking a bit longer than I hoped as trueflite are slow at producing the barrel.
I hope to end up with the sort of rifle you are after.

Stu

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.