Would you be happy with a 270-08 AI ?

The CDI factor for that chambering is off the charts - and CDI factor is extremely important in a custom rifle.

My opinion: It just doesn't make any sense. A standard 260 with good 6.5 bullet will outperform it all day with less recoil and without the hassle of custom reamers, dies, brass etc.

If you want to AI the 308 size case, go 260AI or 7-08AI for the better bullet selections in those bores.

If you're stuck on .277 bullets, just do a .270win.
Have you tried to buy 260 brass lately? And as for the 270W, I'm looking for less recoil and longer barrel life.

For a while now I've been thinking about the possibility of building a light weight "all round" hunting rifle in 270-08 AI. I know there are other options out there, but this one sounds like it'd be fun to load for, and the components don't seem to have been affected as much by the on going "shortage" as other calibers. And, not the least, prices for it are relatively reasonable. One drawback might be the length of time it would take to obtain the dies. So what do you think? Could you have fun with a rifle like this, or would it be a waste of time?
Well...............it read something about .277 caliber so it caught my attention immediately. I do understand what you are writing about when you talk about building a "fun" rifle. A few years back I decided that I "wanted" not "needed" to build a fun rifle, and....I wanted a taste of what it meant to reload for a "wildcat" cartridge. I was going to build a .280 Ackley Improved, but I did not like what Nosler did to the round messing with the overall length of the cartridge instead of using the Ackley principle of keeping the parent cartridge!! So after some long consideration I decided to build a .270 Ackley Improved. For al the life in my I cannot figure out the reasons that this cartridge has not caught on, but it hasn't. So I built two (my son has a good father), .270 Ackley Improved rifles on Ruger 77 actions (blueprinted) with 26 inch, 1:10 Lilja barrels. I get 3300+- fps with 150gr ABLRs, but the rifles we have like around 3100 fps, so...it's 3100 fps it is. At 3300 fps the brass is not too happy as in primer pockets loosen up after two or three reloads. I built this rifle with deer hunting in mind, and if I win the lottery a mule deer/antelope hunt out west that accepts guiding "cranky ole guys"!!!! If I were to build these rifles again I would use the same barrel length and twist. I call them two-shot rifles because when they were built they were contoured to the factory barrel's dimensions; so they are a bit on the wispy side and they do heat up rather quickly. I have attached one of our 300 yard targets that we've shot with these rifles. This target is a 300 yard target with a 100 yard zero. If the rifle is sighted with a 200 yard zero it would be around a 5 inch drop at 300 yards instead of the 9 inch.

Now as for an "all-around-rifle", I am not so certain there is such a thing because if that were true I would not have any reason to have a safe full of hunting rifles. Now I'm going to go out on a limb here (probably get attacked, but....) however I believe the 30-06 to be about as versatile of a rifle as one could find. My "all-around-rifle" is a Remington 700 ADL, with a Leupold VX III scope and is in 30-06, that I bought new in 1969 for my father. That "all-around-rifle" has not been shot or has not left the safe in 10-15 years, but....it's my all-around-rifle that is a go-to rifle if all else fails and I run out of specialty rifles. The reason that the all-around-rifle really doesn't come out of the safe is because I've built rifles to hunt whatever game I am hunting; and, these rifles include lever and pump actions as well so as to not be limited to bolt-action only.

If you are hard core about a .277 build I believe there are better cartridges out there to build in the .277 range than the .277-08; but. if that's what you want to build then it is up to you to answer that question. I would suggest the .270 WSM with a 24-26 inch to get all of the horsepower out of this cartridge, 1:75 or 1:8 twist barrel to shoot the heavies if you would like. You'll have the uniqueness of a .270 WSM that is capable of shooting the heavy, high BC bullets. I believe the .270 WSM is a much better cartridge than the 6.8 Western due to the increased powder volume, and believe this round was designed and adopted to sell firearms and make a wow factor to write about in gun magazines and nothing more. As for recoil, from what you have written you are a reloader, and with that in mind there's no reason that this cartridge cannot be downloaded to ease the pain in the shoulder department. And....as for opinions on what rifle/cartridge/caliber to build I am certain that there are at least as many opinions as there are cartridges that are out there. I'm not certain if I have helped you, or bored you with this dissertation; however, no matter what have fun with your build.

Attachments

• .270AI2.JPG
    .270AI2.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 66
  • .270AI3.JPG
    .270AI3.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 61
  • .270 Ackley Improved 300yds.jpg
    .270 Ackley Improved 300yds.jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 46
I personally do see the benefit. To get high BC .277 bullets it seems you have to get 160+ grains and the case capacity would be limited.
I personally don't see the benefit .013 difference from 6.5 too 27 cal and .007 from 27 too 7mm cal . The only reason too build a 27-08 would be too have a unique cartridge , something different there is no doubt the 27 cal will get the job done .

Being a rifle manufacturer i generally have two mind sets about chamberings like this. The practical point of view and the experimental point of view.

from a Practical point of view i really do not like improving the 08 class case. Why, you dont get much out of it……. I can hear it all coming now, i get 200 fps more velocity out of my 260 AI then a standard 260 rem gets……. Well, that may be the case but its not because the improved case design is allowing that much more powder to be used, its simply because the chamber pressures are being increased dramatically. Most custom chambers are cut to min spec dimensions and will of course handle higher chamber pressures then factory chambers.

in reality, when both are loaded to the same pressures an AI case based on the 08 case will produce 50-75 fps more velocity then its parent case. Is the fireforming chores worth that gain, for me no.

but then again you will hear, but, but, but i still get 200 fps over a standard 260 rem. Ok, with proper full power handloads, a handloaded 260 rem will get around 100 fps more then what is commonly stated velocity as well……. Again, when loaded to equal pressures your gaining 50-75 fps max.

next question comes down to caliber…. The 270 is a great caliber but is it better then the 7mm. Only if you like the 270 better then the 284. There is no bullet weight in 270 that can not be matched by a 7mm of similar weight, however there are many 7mm bullets that far out class the 270 options. We must look at he chambering however, the 08 case would be at its best with 130-150 gr 270 bullets. It would work OK with the 170 gr bergers as well but velocities would be cut significantly.

Going the other way, there are a host of 6.5mm bullets that will also do anything any 270 bullet will do ballistically. so i could argue why its not a good idea.

Now the experimental side of me brain loves oddball things. Simply put, if you want a 270-08 AI, get one and i am sure you will have many, MANY hours of enjoyment using the rifle. In the end, all of our opinions mean nothing, build what you want and enjoy it and report the results!! 😉

For a while now I've been thinking about the possibility of building a light weight "all round" hunting rifle in 270-08 AI. I know there are other options out there, but this one sounds like it'd be fun to load for, and the components don't seem to have been affected as much by the on going "shortage" as other calibers. And, not the least, prices for it are relatively reasonable. One drawback might be the length of time it would take to obtain the dies. So what do you think? Could you have fun with a rifle like this, or would it be a waste of time?
280AI

Well...............it read something about .277 caliber so it caught my attention immediately. I do understand what you are writing about when you talk about building a "fun" rifle. A few years back I decided that I "wanted" not "needed" to build a fun rifle, and....I wanted a taste of what it meant to reload for a "wildcat" cartridge. I was going to build a .280 Ackley Improved, but I did not like what Nosler did to the round messing with the overall length of the cartridge instead of using the Ackley principle of keeping the parent cartridge!! So after some long consideration I decided to build a .270 Ackley Improved. For al the life in my I cannot figure out the reasons that this cartridge has not caught on, but it hasn't. So I built two (my son has a good father), .270 Ackley Improved rifles on Ruger 77 actions (blueprinted) with 26 inch, 1:10 Lilja barrels. I get 3300+- fps with 150gr ABLRs, but the rifles we have like around 3100 fps, so...it's 3100 fps it is. At 3300 fps the brass is not too happy as in primer pockets loosen up after two or three reloads. I built this rifle with deer hunting in mind, and if I win the lottery a mule deer/antelope hunt out west that accepts guiding "cranky ole guys"!!!! If I were to build these rifles again I would use the same barrel length and twist. I call them two-shot rifles because when they were built they were contoured to the factory barrel's dimensions; so they are a bit on the wispy side and they do heat up rather quickly. I have attached one of our 300 yard targets that we've shot with these rifles. This target is a 300 yard target with a 100 yard zero. If the rifle is sighted with a 200 yard zero it would be around a 5 inch drop at 300 yards instead of the 9 inch.

Now as for an "all-around-rifle", I am not so certain there is such a thing because if that were true I would not have any reason to have a safe full of hunting rifles. Now I'm going to go out on a limb here (probably get attacked, but....) however I believe the 30-06 to be about as versatile of a rifle as one could find. My "all-around-rifle" is a Remington 700 ADL, with a Leupold VX III scope and is in 30-06, that I bought new in 1969 for my father. That "all-around-rifle" has not been shot or has not left the safe in 10-15 years, but....it's my all-around-rifle that is a go-to rifle if all else fails and I run out of specialty rifles. The reason that the all-around-rifle really doesn't come out of the safe is because I've built rifles to hunt whatever game I am hunting; and, these rifles include lever and pump actions as well so as to not be limited to bolt-action only.

If you are hard core about a .277 build I believe there are better cartridges out there to build in the .277 range than the .277-08; but. if that's what you want to build then it is up to you to answer that question. I would suggest the .270 WSM with a 24-26 inch to get all of the horsepower out of this cartridge, 1:75 or 1:8 twist barrel to shoot the heavies if you would like. You'll have the uniqueness of a .270 WSM that is capable of shooting the heavy, high BC bullets. I believe the .270 WSM is a much better cartridge than the 6.8 Western due to the increased powder volume, and believe this round was designed and adopted to sell firearms and make a wow factor to write about in gun magazines and nothing more. As for recoil, from what you have written you are a reloader, and with that in mind there's no reason that this cartridge cannot be downloaded to ease the pain in the shoulder department. And....as for opinions on what rifle/cartridge/caliber to build I am certain that there are at least as many opinions as there are cartridges that are out there. I'm not certain if I have helped you, or bored you with this dissertation; however, no matter what have fun with your build.
Thank you for your thoughtful comment, Alibiiv. Your 270ai cartridge definitely shoots as sweet as it looks. Did you polish the chamber? I agree downloading a larger capacity cartridge would reduce recoil, but unless there's frequent cause to load to capacity it seems an inefficient technique. Also, I too have a Rem 700 BDL 30-06 which I purchased in '65 because of its versatility. I suppose I shouldn't have used the term "all round" since I'm not looking for a rifle capable of taking every type of game animal on the continent, only those I'm most likely to encounter. Here in Mississippi that, of course, is Whitetail Deer. I've lived here for 26 years but someday hope to return to my old stomping grounds of Northern California (wishful thinking, probably) where western game would be more accessible. However, this is probably blaspheme, but which animals I may or may not hunt is not as important a factor in my choice as the uniqueness of the cartridge, and the fact it rings all the right bells for diameter, case capacity, and cost - and time at the bench.

277 FURY is a 30 Degree 27-08, there no need to make a wildcat unless shooting heavies.. Ammo is available, sparse selection, but that is the times.