Would you be happy with a 270-08 AI ?

4thefunofit

For a while now I've been thinking about the possibility of building a light weight "all round" hunting rifle in 270-08 AI. I know there are other options out there, but this one sounds like it'd be fun to load for, and the components don't seem to have been affected as much by the on going "shortage" as other calibers. And, not the least, prices for it are relatively reasonable. One drawback might be the length of time it would take to obtain the dies. So what do you think? Could you have fun with a rifle like this, or would it be a waste of time?

Interesting thought, my pessimistic thought is what could you do with a .277 bullet that you can't with a .284 bullet but my positive thought is why the heck not because it would work great with 130-150 grain bullets. It would be interesting to see what the potential ballistics look like vs a 6.5 manbun necked up to 270 if you want to use heavy bullets?

I believe it's called the 27 Souper and with the 145 eldx, 140 berger, 140tgk et el would be a handy dandy rifle. If you have a medium actions. A 27-284 would be more interesting and won't require custom dies or fire forming just 6.5-284 or 284 bushing dies and you're off to the races

I believe it's called the 27 Souper and with the 145 eldx, 140 berger, 140tgk et el would be a handy dandy rifle. If you have a medium actions. A 27-284 would be more interesting and won't require custom dies or fire forming just 6.5-284 or 284 bushing dies and you're off to the races
I already have an -06, and I'd like to keep the recoil to a minimum.

Interesting thought, my pessimistic thought is what could you do with a .277 bullet that you can't with a .284 bullet but my positive thought is why the heck not because it would work great with 130-150 grain bullets. It would be interesting to see what the potential ballistics look like vs a 6.5 manbun necked up to 270 if you want to use heavy bullets?
My guess is it would out shoot a 6.5 CR. The creed's efficiency, I don't believe would outdo the higher case capacity.

For a while now I've been thinking about the possibility of building a light weight "all round" hunting rifle in 270-08 AI. I know there are other options out there, but this one sounds like it'd be fun to load for, and the components don't seem to have been affected as much by the on going "shortage" as other calibers. And, not the least, prices for it are relatively reasonable. One drawback might be the length of time it would take to obtain the dies. So what do you think? Could you have fun with a rifle like this, or would it be a waste of time?
I would just buy a new or build a 270 Winchester mountain rifle same ballistics

Only you can answer your question.

Only you can answer your question.
Depending on how much you like that 27 cal , I think the 6.5 or 7 mm cal will serve you better in the long run with all the different bullet options and offerings. A 260 ai in a 1-7.5 or 1-7 twist versus the original 1-9 in the 260 Rem or a 1-8 in the 7-08 ai would be a lot more versatile . If you do go with the 27-08 ai make sure you get a faster twist than the standard 1-10 or you will be limited too 150 gr bullets.

Depending on how much you like that 27 cal , I think the 6.5 or 7 mm cal will serve you better in the long run with all the different bullet options and offerings. A 260 ai in a 1-7.5 or 1-7 twist versus the original 1-9 in the 260 Rem or a 1-8 in the 7-08 ai would be a lot more versatile . If you do go with the 27-08 ai make sure you get a faster twist than the standard 1-10 or you will be limited too 150 gr bullets.
You quoted me, but did you mean to address it to the OP?

So what do you think? Could you have fun with a rifle like this, or would it be a waste of time?
Sure I could. Sounds like a cool little gun. Keep it shorter and lighter weight. The bullet options keep getting better in this under-appreciated caliber. Would love to see what it does for you. Could even improve the case for a little more juice if you want, but would get you into a little more case work - fireforming etc. I used to have a Rem Model 7 SS in 260AI that I really liked.

What's your goals for its use as in type of game, range, etc?

Last edited:
Would your "all around hunter" only be used in Mississippi? If so your largest game would be White Tail I assume. More traditionally this is the reason for the popularity of the Quarter Bore Cartridges of old, 250 Savage, 25 Remington etc. For a modern light kick Rifle the 120-129 Grain bullets in 6.5 Creedmoor is the perfect choice, it's just too easy and readily available not to. Folks are too caught up in the long range hype of the Creedmoor and heavy for caliber 140+ weight bullets. It's really the perfect light weight Hunter.