Wolf kill pics.... Trophy Bull Elk.....

I had a grizz tag back about 1990 and that was shut down. the g bear is thriving, it is limited draw fro cats, cats are thriving. The cat,grizz,and wolf are all opportunist. And they are all at high numbers, so there is going to be conflict, and a berry or mushroom picker I would say will have a run in. Guys arent running cats in high wolf areas now. My hunting buddy was stalked by 3 diff.cats, my son one, and another shot one leaping at him,5 miles formtown in subs. Last 5 years. Couple years back, son and I saw 5 grizz, on open archery,I saw 13 in one day. Just not enough game for everything any more. Grizz dont get hunted, one stole a buck right out of back of truck and ate half of it right at camp

lightbulbWhats with the drag path in the second picture?
Didn't know that wolves drag a animal out in the open to eat on it!!

Could it be the elk dragging itself?? lightbulb

No, couldn't be. In fact, I bet those wolf tracks were planted by some anti-wolf extremists who probably killed this elk themselves and staged the whole thing for sympathy points. Good grief, gunpower. You're showing up again, I see.

Yellowstone Elk Population Down; Decline Reverberates in Ecosystem | articles | news

70% decline in elk populations in the park due primarily to drought and wolves...last I looked plenty of rivers in Yellowstone...

Here in Virginia we have coyotes, but they are non-native...I hunt a piece of land that used to have a very healthy population of turkey...according to those who have hunted the land the appearance of the coyotes has corresponded directly with a decline in turkey numbers...I only see one or two sets of turkey prints on a 2000 acre piece of land in N. Virginia...supposedly there were several flocks of turkeys on this one piece of land...sounds framiliar to your situation out west with Canadian Timber wolves in Yellowstone...

Matt

Could it be the elk dragging itself?? lightbulb

No, couldn't be. In fact, I bet those wolf tracks were planted by some anti-wolf extremists who probably killed this elk themselves and staged the whole thing for sympathy points. Good grief, gunpower. You're showing up again, I see.

We're wasting our time trying to reason with morons! If it were possible, and it may be someday soon, they would try to clone tyrannosaurus rex and reintroduce them too!....Rich

YOU are the "non native". Wolves were where you live hundreds of years at the minimum before you were born...and "you" moved into THEIR backyard and killed them all! Now who is the "non native predator"????

I absolutely disagree with this twisted philosophical view of history, but if you believe this Sully2, then so are you. Some critter used to live in the wild where you live now and shame on you for existing and taking that land of theirs!

So, what do you propose you should do about being a 'non-native predator' yourself? I'd like to hear your solutions in regards to this for yourself. What are you going to do about the fact that you are a 'non-native predator'?

Guys, I know that timmay and Sully2 are a little out of their range of expertise but please give a little respectful slack? Im a young man (24) that was brought through an educational system that was run by left wingers. Hunters bad, hippies good. That is what has been drilled through peoples heads through the school sytems for the last 20+ years. Drilled through so much that people cant make up there minds for themselves sometimes without having at least some predisposition towards extreme "conservation".

All in all, "tree huggers" and hunters want the same thing. to see the natural world flourish. Just that some poeple on BOTH sides are so biased that they cannot make an objective decision. I for one feel that the vast majority of the guys on here have it right, that wolves are a problem. I feel that by no means that they should be arradicated, but a better managment system needs to be implemented. Heck I live in west central Alberta and Fish and Game is encourageing people to shoot wolves because they are too populated.

Where I live is a much harsher climate than most places in the lower 48, at least on game. Our wolves are flourishing... what so you think the same sub-speices of wolf is going to do in a milder climate? Where they wont be hunted? Where a weaker sub-species did very well?

I was asked by a farmer to come kill a "predator" that was killing his prized horses back in august. I waited over the kill one even to no avail. The next morning two black wolves emerged from the woods 75 yards from his house and killed two of his horses (one was a colt) infront of his eyes. Then they left. 11 horses were killed in under 2 weeks on the same farm, and non had more that 5 lbs of meat eaten.

Man has developed land, cleared brush and made roads. All of those thing make the wolves job easier, thus more survive the winters (the same goes for most game animals). The problem is that woves are not just predators, they are super predators.

I would be sad to see the wolves shot off in the States, but the fact of the matter is that if you want wolves down there, get the right ones that will be benificial to the ecosystem, not detremantal.

Guys, I know that timmay and Sully2 are a little out of their range of expertise but give a little respectful slack? Im a young man (24) that was brought through an educational system that was run by left wingers. Hunters bad, hippies good. That is what has been drilled through peoples heads through the school sytems for the last 20+ years. Drilled through so much that people cant make up there minds for themselves sometimes without having at least some predisposition towards extreme "conservation".

Sully2 lists himself as retired, so I'm guessing he hasn't had the last 20 years in in the liberal public school machine and this extreme environmental philosophy (preservation, NOT conservation, is what extreme environmentalists preach and only preach--there needs to be a balance between preservation and wise conservation, the two being very different but both being appropriate at different times and places) has been being trumpeted through media, universities, public K-12 schools, etc. much longer than 20 years. Someone who is apparently retired and a hunter should have a much better grasp of this issue.

timmay doesn't list a thing about himself.

They are both speaking in very confident terms and in ways that require strong rebuttals. No apologies from me for that. Neither has provided a shred of evidence to support their thinking.

Good post angus, but I'm 64 and have to go with jmden on this one! I don't want to see them completely eradicated from the west. We could leave one or two in each state and it would be fine with me! Just a joke, as I think if they are brought down to numbers where we can all coexist I would have no problem. We haven't heard from either of these gents since their BS was refuted with facts! It's sort of like the old saying that you don't bring a knife to a gunfight!!!

Fair enough. I missed that Sully2 was retired. my appologies. I do like how you made the contrast between preservation and conservation... I wasnt able to put words to the diffrence between the two veiws.

jmden,
I wasnt hopeing for an apology, as non was due. I was just hopeing that the conversation wouldnt get any more heated. The respect thing was as much for the other two fellows as anyone. Good debate... however one sided (the right side). :)

Guys, I know that timmay and Sully2 are a little out of their range of expertise but please give a little respectful slack? Im a young man (24) that was brought through an educational system that was run by left wingers. Hunters bad, hippies good. That is what has been drilled through peoples heads through the school sytems for the last 20+ years. Drilled through so much that people cant make up there minds for themselves sometimes without having at least some predisposition towards extreme "conservation".

All in all, "tree huggers" and hunters want the same thing. to see the natural world flourish. Just that some poeple on BOTH sides are so biased that they cannot make an objective decision. I for one feel that the vast majority of the guys on here have it right, that wolves are a problem. I feel that by no means that they should be arradicated, but a better managment system needs to be implemented. Heck I live in west central Alberta and Fish and Game is encourageing people to shoot wolves because they are too populated.

Where I live is a much harsher climate than most places in the lower 48, at least on game. Our wolves are flourishing... what so you think the same sub-speices of wolf is going to do in a milder climate? Where they wont be hunted? Where a weaker sub-species did very well?

I was asked by a farmer to come kill a "predator" that was killing his prized horses back in august. I waited over the kill one even to no avail. The next morning two black wolves emerged from the woods 75 yards from his house and killed two of his horses (one was a colt) infront of his eyes. Then they left. 11 horses were killed in under 2 weeks on the same farm, and non had more that 5 lbs of meat eaten.

Man has developed land, cleared brush and made roads. All of those thing make the wolves job easier, thus more survive the winters (the same goes for most game animals). The problem is that woves are not just predators, they are super predators.

I would be sad to see the wolves shot off in the States, but the fact of the matter is that if you want wolves down there, get the right ones that will be benificial to the ecosystem, not detremantal.

You were requested by a farmer to come and kill a wolf that had killed his horse....a definate need to thingy....and eventually as you sat there TWO appeared SEVENTY FIVE yards away..??..and you didnt kille either or both???? Hmmmm

You were requested by a farmer to come and kill a wolf that had killed his horse....a definate need to thingy....and eventually as you sat there TWO appeared SEVENTY FIVE yards away..??..and you didnt kille either or both???? Hmmmm

Re-read that paragraph with your thinking cap on, you severely missed it!!

Sully2 lists himself as retired, so I'm guessing he hasn't had the last 20 years in in the liberal public school machine and this extreme environmental philosophy (preservation, NOT conservation, is what extreme environmentalists preach and only preach--there needs to be a balance between preservation and wise conservation, the two being very different but both being appropriate at different times and places) has been being trumpeted through media, universities, public K-12 schools, etc. much longer than 20 years. Someone who is apparently retired and a hunter should have a much better grasp of this issue.

timmay doesn't list a thing about himself.

They are both speaking in very confident terms and in ways that require strong rebuttals. No apologies from me for that. Neither has provided a shred of evidence to support their thinking.

Im definately retired and if I had kids that went to the public schools today...Id yank them out and have them home schooled. Teachers ( in general now) and their ideas are totally out of touch with the world!

As for myself I live under the concept that anything harmful to MAN needs to be eradicated..but NOT wholesale slaughter. You got kids and they get attacked..."remove" ( in this case) the wolves that did it; Cattle that get killed...same deal. Joggers and such that get attacked...same sort of eradication....whether it be wolves; grizzly bears; mountain lions or bengal tigers!!!

But dont lay the blame in all cases at the feet of the animal. People that live in the wilderness ( ever been to Alaska...the whole place other than the FEW major cities is WILDERNESS!!) and go jogging down some dirt road with NO FORM of ANY "personal protection"...be it bear spray; baseball bat or .44 magnum....and gets chewed on by "X" animal(s)...all I can say is Momma never raised such a dumb child!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.