Longest Range Elk Kill?

Sapphire

Whats the longest you've heard of or done? Just curious. This is new territory to me. I remember reading about 900 to 1100 yd kills quite a few years ago, but I'm just wondering what someone might have done with the 338 Edge or the big Laps?

E

Brother-in-laws brother shot one at 1550yds in Idaho with a 30-416, pushing 240SMK's. Took a few shots to walk it in, but that is what it ended up being. It only took one bullet when he hit the elk.

Tank

I have one at 925 with a 6.5x284 with a 140 VLD, and my brother has one at 930 with a 7 mag with a 168 VLD. I am betting there are some nearing 2000 yds with the big 338's, and anyone that has shot out to beyond 1000 yards can appreciate the skill involved in making those shots.
P.S. I also have a coyote at 1300 yards cold bore 15 mph gusty wind. It was probably lucky as gusty as the wind was, but it was pretty cool to watch the vapor trail arc into him. You can check out my 925 yd elk at The Best of the West.

Succesful extreme range elk shots that I am aware of are done with cartridges much more powerful than the edge or lapua. The edge or 338-300 RUM is a good choice for a standard magnum action that will easily get you to 1000 yards. But if your plans are extreme range elk hunting you need to step up to a more powerful cartridge like the Excaliber or one of the 338-378 improved versions that beat the 338-300 RUM by 300 or so fps. Or something off the chey tac case. I know of guys that have shot 1600 yards to a mile on elk with proper rifles. If anyone wants to do this first get a big gun that is capable instead of making a smaller one fit. At 1600+ yards you are much better off with the 300+ fps advantage. When I go to extreme range I shoot nothing less than a 338-378 wby. Why limit yourself just so you can say you did it with a lesser cartridge. Get a big gun and have the best for the job.

I am not saying you can't kill an elk at 1600 yards with the edge or the lapua. I am saying the 300 extra fps can do it much better and give you a much better chance for succes. I shot a deer at 1365 yards and at that range if you miss the yardage by a fraction you miss. Look how far the bullet drops every ten yards at that range. The 300 extra fps from 2800 to 3100+ fps helps a lot once you get into extreme range. Last summer I did some practice out to a mile with my 338-378 at 3064 fps. You miss ten yards you miss. A few more fps give you a few more precious yards is all I'm saying.

Last edited:
i remember Darryl Cassell talking about getting one at around 2900 yards. he was there but another guy shot it. he said he wouldn't have taken the shot. pretty sure it was a 33/416. Ed Wallace has shot them at about 2100. i think his name is Ed...

It was Eddie with 338-416 Imp. He was shooting 300 Sierra and i believe the distance was 2880. He shoots them really hot, like one firing and throw away the brass. I think he told me he was getting 3500. I think he has 46 inch barrel. Matt

There was a post on longest big game kill of 2000yds by gps with a 50bmg but the previous posts above are incrediable given the rifles used. Even with the 338/408 or 375/408 s the bullets drop below speed of sound of about 1100fps at about 2200 to 2800yds and delivered energy also drops off at those ranges to make a clean kill also more questionable. bullet BC and wind are critical at these ranges.

The longest that "I" know if is 1900 yards by Bobby Hart using a .30 Hart. Pretty impressive some the post with ranges listed.

2880!!! Holy Cu-Rap... now that is reaching out...

Is anyone "hunting" with this 460 Barret I saw? (maybe it was a 416?)

2880....... WOW!

Ive hunted antelope with the 416 barrett. Didnt see anything I was will to shoot. We stalked up to a herd that ranged from 612-1200ish. Any one of them would have been a slam dunk but didnt like any of the bucks. My 50 is zeroed at 1100 and I have 45min of elevation. I would just like to know how some of you guys shoot that stuff that far away an can see it with your scope.
FYI a good target is a deer decoy or archery deer. Gives you a pretty close size and real life target. I recommend fmj though as hp will give it a bad day

Last edited:
That would be Mr. Cassell with a 2100 yard kill on the back side of No Tellem Ridge with a 338/416 Rigby Imp. I was there that year hunting the same unit.

So 2880 or 2100? 2880 seems insane... but??

Wow..gun zeroed at 1100... now thats getting serious into LR... how low would you have to hold to kill something at 200 yards?

PAcowboy is on the right track i know of that 1900 yd kill as well as one or 2 into the mid 2k range by bobby hart and some of his friends. i have shot with him many times and he is a very good shooter, i would not advocate a newer or even most experienced shooters try this till they have spent a lot of time on targets at those ranges and well beyond.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.