Trophy Elk in lower 48

As a non-resident, the chances of drawing an AZ elk tag in 1-2 years is about .01%. If you want a rut tag....make that .001%.
Unless you buy a commissioner's tag. Deep pockets are all that takes. Like $350-400k+.

White Mtn Apache, San Carlos Apache, or Walapai tribe hunts are a viable choice. Some absolute monsters come off those every year.
Lance is correct for AZ. As a resident I've been putting in for elk in AZ since 1984 and have drawn 2 tags both archery. Yet to kill an AZ elk. AZ has trophies for sure but to hold out for one is easy to not fill your tag.

Did finally kill a trophy though with my bow, just not in AZ.
Bull Elk.JPG

Last edited:
Am looking for advice on a outfitter for Trophy Elk . Not a fence hunt! Looking for a 300 plus bull. We really like doing horseback tent camp hunts. But we are both getting up there in age and for my wife it is getting very difficult to do. Would not be totally against hunting out of a lodge or cabin if that's our only option. Have hunted Idaho Colorado and Wyoming already. Really enjoyed the open country of Wyoming doing spot and stalk. Didn't really care for the dark timber of Colorado. Was more like whitetail hunting back home. Thought about doing archery or Muzzleloader. Would like to experience the rut. But not a deal breaker. If you have any first hand knowledge would appreciate your input. Thinking of doing in 23 or 24.

Another option would be the Jicarilla Indian Reservation in Dulce, NM. I've been there a dozen times over the years and have absolutely had the time of my life each and every time. I've also taken numerous friends along and they were in awe themselves. I've killed a bull, several cows, black bear and mountain lion over the years. Mule Deer prices are astronomical, but elk are reasonable. PM if you'd like any additional info.

I haven't checked in some 20+ years, but last I heard, the White Mountin Apache had a ten year wait list and the cost was $10k back then. I can't imagine what it is up to now. For a while, George Straight was buying a hunt there every year.

Did finally kill a trophy though with my bow, just not in AZ.View attachment 342478
I have 2 buddies that haven't even drawn a archery cow tag on 2nd choice in 6 years. This will be their 7th. I can't draw 5B Archery anymore either. used to at least draw a cow. The points to draw it now are insane. Plus they keep cutting tags there and giving more to rifle hunt. I've killed one bull and 5 cow there with bow. I'm burning my 13 pts. on a rifle hunt that takes only 8 this year. Tired of playing the point/$ game in 7 states. Began last year. I'm to old to draw what I'm in for and can't afford the rich man's sport anymore. So glad they only do pts. here for moose, Bighorn and Mtn. Goat. I only do the 1st two. I lost 10 pts. For elk. 3 Deer and 4 lope here as non res.. Wy. points are expensive but you don't have to buy a license like Az., Nv.,Ut. and Co.. at least not yet...N.M. has big bulls like Az.. Nv. does also but your back to points game. Not so in N.M.. My buddy killed a 370 bull in Nv. Last year but he went with Moosback Outfitters. I didn't even ask how much $ it cost. Mossback had his bull on display at the Sportsman Convention in Salt Lake last week. You have a good chance at a nice bull here in Wy. depending on area with an outfitter or even not. I can't draw area 58 bull. Got cow tag for 58 last year. There are some monsters here. I've seen them dead and alive..I'm pretty sure a good outfitter on a week hunt is under 5k.. but what do I know ?

Last edited:
If you want a monster elk, mule deer or Coues whitetail, the White Mountain Apache Tribe in Arizona is the best. Hunts are expensive but 400" class bulls are taken almost every year.

Believe it or not, California has some good sized elk. Nolan Twissleman has a 300 square mile ranch that has Tule Elk. I have hunted pigs, dove, quail and chukar on the ranch. Everytime I go there, we see elk. Give Nolan a call.... Twisselman Outfittershttps://www.twisselmanoutfitters.com
Tule elk don't get big racks compared to Rocky Mtn. or Roosevelt Elk .Smallest of species. I tried to draw a Tule elk tag in different zones in eastern Sierras for 20 yrs. I still have max pts. At 20. Now non res. $1520 for a non res tag ? Only give one non res tag. Won't happen. Maybe for me but I'm not paying that much and driving 1200 mi. on Biden gas prices. 😉

Last edited:
Am looking for advice on a outfitter for Trophy Elk . Not a fence hunt! Looking for a 300 plus bull. We really like doing horseback tent camp hunts. But we are both getting up there in age and for my wife it is getting very difficult to do. Would not be totally against hunting out of a lodge or cabin if that's our only option. Have hunted Idaho Colorado and Wyoming already. Really enjoyed the open country of Wyoming doing spot and stalk. Didn't really care for the dark timber of Colorado. Was more like whitetail hunting back home. Thought about doing archery or Muzzleloader. Would like to experience the rut. But not a deal breaker. If you have any first hand knowledge would appreciate your input. Thinking of doing in 23 or 24.
Mascalaro # (575)-464-7448

I have 2 buddies that haven't even drawn a archery cow tag on 2nd choice in 6 years. This will be their 7th. I can't draw 5B Archery anymore either. used to at least draw a cow. The points to draw it now are insane. Plus they keep cutting tags there and giving more to rifle hunt. I've killed one bull and 5 cow there with bow. I'm burning my 13 pts. on a rifle hunt that takes only 8 this year. Tired of playing the point/$ game in 7 states. Began last year. I'm to old to draw what I'm in for and can't afford the rich man's sport anymore. So glad they only do pts. here for moose, Bighorn and Mtn. Goat. I only do the 1st two. I lost 10 pts. For elk. 3 Deer and 4 lope here as non res.. Wy. points are expensive but you don't have to buy a license like Az., Nv.,Ut. and Co.. at least not yet...N.M. has big bulls like Az.. Nv. does also but your back to points game. Not so in N.M.. My buddy killed a 370 bull in Nv. Last year but he went with Moosback Outfitters. I didn't even ask how much $ it cost. Mossback had his bull on display at the Sportsman Convention in Salt Lake last week. You have a good chance at a nice bull here in Wy. depending on area with an outfitter or even not. I can't draw area 58 bull. Got cow tag for 58 last year. There are some monsters here. I've seen them dead and alive..I'm pretty sure a good outfitter on a week hunt is under 5k.. but what do I know ?
At least you have points. The wise guys at Idaho FnG, refuse to go to a point system. Then our leaders added another reg that says if one applies for a controlled elk hunt and fails to draw, he still must wait 5 days to buy a regular season elk tag in select units. Most sell out in 1 or 2 days. However, our wolf population is nine times above Fed threshold.