Why .300 Weatherby ?

The 300 wby will always be my go to long range elk rifle, from shooting 180 ttsx @ 3200fps to 180 HH @ 3150. Deadly accurate past 1000 yards.
Mine shoots 180's Noslers at 3100 FPS or so, tested out to 500 yds ,so far , with some more practice, I might stretch it out.if the opportunity comes along.

I have a question for all of you folks. There seems to be a quite a few of well respected individuals in the shooting industry that have chosen the .300 Weatherby as their general cartridge of choice. Why have they chosen this particular cartridge, other than for its' velocity ? Is there something that is inherent to this casing/cartridge that makes it the stellar choice? I am asking this to help me understand so I appreciate your honest , informational replys. Thank you for your information. Darrel
I own a MKV Deluxe 300 Weatherby and that shoots well under .5 MOA with pillard, bedded, and load development. It has a slight attitude with recoil but an Elk rifle, absolutely. Energy is there out some distance.

I own a MKV Deluxe 300 Weatherby and that shoots well under .5 MOA with pillard, bedded, and load development. It has a slight attitude with recoil but an Elk rifle, absolutely. Energy is there out some distance.
Nice ,I like to hear it when someone else talks about the 300 weatherby mag and elk in the same sentence.

Nice ,I like to hear it when someone else talks about the 300 weatherby mag and elk in the same sentence.
It was among the most popular elk and moose rounds ever produced at least in the magnum class.

Just too much recoil to be tolerable for most hunters packing a sporter or lightweight gun especially in the age prior to effective muzzle brakes and good recoil pads.

It was among the most popular elk and moose rounds ever produced at least in the magnum class.

Just too much recoil to be tolerable for most hunters packing a sporter or lightweight gun especially in the age prior to effective muzzle brakes and good recoil pads.
I finally put a break on mine and it is nice to shoot , and an added benefit is on muggy days the muzzle break ,keeps the mosquitoes off of me ,along as I keep shooting .