Weatherby Mark V. Why no love?

Brian564

Seems that this rifle is hardly ever spoken of as a potent long range rifle. Is there a particular reason for this? What do you think of their accuracy and construction quality?

To be brutal, they are often a lot of show and little go. They are often lacking in accuracy without some rather serious load development (or work on the rifle). It took over 100 rounds for the last mk5 accumark I worked with to find a stable load that was sub moa... That was only a 300roy, not one of their more overbore rounds.

I think part of the issue with the Mark V rifles is the 9 locking lugs. I have been told by more than one gunsmith that it is virtually impossible to get good contact on all 9 small lugs. On the other hand, it is rather easy to acquire a high percent of contact on the two large lugs which most other rifles use.
Older Mark V rifles had a reputation for a wealth of tooling marks in their bores but I really don't know about newer models.

Many on here got them to shoot and used them as I on many successfull hunts before my customs.LTLR on here was a avid user.Broz I believe had a lapua on a mark V action that had lot rounds down tube. My 340 Wby accounted for more big game than all my rifles put together. I was shooting elk with it past 500 25 yrs ago as where the other elk nuts I ran into in my local.

Many on here got them to shoot and used them as I on many successfull hunts before my customs.LTLR on here was a avid user.Broz I believe had a lapua on a mark V action that had lot rounds down tube. My 340 Wby accounted for more big game than all my rifles put together. I was shooting elk with it past 500 25 yrs ago as where the other elk nuts I ran into in my local.

I'm not saying it can't happen. roy's can be made to shoot. I got that 300roy to do well but it is picky as hell about what it eats. I'll take some rifles and stuff 'em with darn near anything and they will do well, not a roy...
The 257roy I helped a co-worker sight in this fall shot sub moa with factories, but it is a newer Vanguard.

I have a number of Weatherby Mark V ranging from 257-460 and that all shoot well under MOA. I had a .338 edge built, I wish I would have went with the 338-378 instead. Just my 2 cents.

Merry Christmas everyone

I have a 270 WBY MK5, sporter. I'd like to get a new barrel for it with either a 8 or 9 twist, if the unicorn .277 170gr Berger ever comes out! Or I could run the matrix!!!! In the case of the MK5 action, I might just have the barrel threaded on and let it rip!

Some body that know how should paste the Je custom 30-338 LAI mark V pict. That was a great build,out of Gun photos section

I always heard it was easier to get a mark 5 to shoot because of the 9 lugs.
They all don't need to have the 90% or better contact that a two or three lug action needs to be considered trued..
That's just what I heard. I have no real experience..

Back in the day, my Uncle built probably one of the first .30-378s in the late 70s. He took his MK.V chambered in .460 and rebarreled it with a 28" Shilen Stainless Match Barrel. He acquired a custom reamer and custom dies for the cartridge. He took multiple game animals with it including a huge Mulie and an elk at long range in the early 80s. He chose the .460 MK.V because it was the only action at the time that he believed could withstand this massive cartridge.

I could tell you a story about my experience with an ornery Mark V Accumark in .257 Weatherby, that has been an ongoing battle for the last 6 years, but I recently won my battle, after hundreds of rounds, lots and lots of money invested, and lost alot of money in doing so. I traded it in for a new rifle (Remington 700 5R Milspec .300WM). Best thing I've done in 6 years with that rifle...

Won't be owning another one.

Don't you love how their Sub-MOA vanguard rifles (inexpensive line) have a sub-MOA guarantee...But their $2,100 Accu-mark (it has accuracy insinuated in it's name) only has a 1.5" accuracy guarantee...

That's lovely isn't it? :rolleyes:

I could tell you a story about my experience with an ornery Mark V Accumark in .257 Weatherby, that has been an ongoing battle for the last 6 years, but I recently won my battle, after hundreds of rounds, lots and lots of money invested, and lost alot of money in doing so. I traded it in for a new rifle (Remington 700 5R Milspec .300WM). Best thing I've done in 6 years with that rifle...

Won't be owning another one.

Don't you love how their Sub-MOA vanguard rifles (inexpensive line) have a sub-MOA guarantee...But their $2,100 Accu-mark (it has accuracy insinuated in it's name) only has a 1.5" accuracy guarantee...

That's lovely isn't it? :rolleyes:

Well you did the right thing in the end Mud, you got yourself a good old Remmy haha! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.