Weatherby Mark V. Why no love?

A Ford Focus is more popular than a Ferrari too.

True, but in almost every way a Ferrari will perform better. That's not always the case of a Mark V.

Like others here I own several Weatherby rifles, both Mark V and Vanguards. As noted already in this thread the Vanguards seem to be easy to shoot - whether the originals or the latest Series 2 -with Sub-MOA accuracy. Every single one of mine will do it, and with factory ammo. My 270 Win chambered ones do so well with a certain factory load that I just bought a case of it to keep me going. It's hardly worth working on a handload for those rifles.

The Mark V has what is likely the strongest production action made but unfortunately can be hit-or-miss with regard to accuracy. One of the least accurate rifles I have owned is a Mark V in 7mm-08 which I eventually sold, and for the price of a Mark V you would expect to be able to at least match if not beat the accuracy of the Vanguard. If Weatherby could consistently have the Mark V shoot under 1 inch then I think it would be a lot more popular. I suspect that eventually (hopefully?) they will improve their barrels and this will happen.

Having said that, we have a couple of Mark V's which are exceptionally accurate and a joy to shoot. I'm hoping to sell a few other rifles and look hard at using a Mark V action for a semi-custom in the next couple of years. But if I had to choose only 1 rifle to use for the rest of my hunting days (perish the thought) it would probably be my stainless Vanguard in 270 Winchester.

I am so sorry Mud had problems with his 257. Most of them that I know of are very accurate. 3/8ths or so. I acquired mine used, have not really 'developed' for it. May just check what my buddies load is, check it for safety and see how it shoots.

As for the 9 lug, if you've got one you want to part with, please let me know.

My Edge is a 9 lug, still not floated and bedded properly but cloverleafs at 100 yards every time out for warm ups. The 5" steel at 300 is boring and the 6" at 700 yards is the only thing that presents a challenge on a 'daily' basis. Oh, for now, I'm shooting Hornady HPBT 285 'Seconds'. I'll finish the floating and betting when I run out and switch to 285 A-Max.

2 of my 26-Nosler wildcats are rechambered Mark V's The 338/26-Nosler shoots very fine. Same as the Edge. 300 yards is too easy. The 308/26-Nosler is unfired. I will probably keep them as they are.

Compared to the R700 based 270/26-Nosler. Fo ged aboud id. The Mark V is way stronger, feels more solid. Doesn't require a modification to the bolt to get an extractor that works and it comes 'true', yes some smiths can find reason to fix minor problems but please compare to a R700 in the same breath.

The R700 action 'stretches' per acceptable metallurgy but does not inspire the confidence of the forged, flat bottomed Mark V action. They generally don't start life 'true'. The extractor is very poor indeed. The feed lips integrated into the action is a concept older than god. Etc...

My 1.4+" diameter Hall E action can take a bigger case heads than a Mark V and that's it's only advantage. Other than that it's an over sized R700. Don't like R700 much, selling the ones I have except 2 that are very specialized. Well one is specialized a long range bench 300 RUM the other is going to be. A 284 bench gun.

So, please hate Mark V's so I don't have to pay so much for the actions.....

the Mark V Weatherby rifles I own have all needed some help for accuracy. At the top of the list was bedding and triggers. The adjustable trigger claim is a myth if you are looking for under 3 1/2 pounds pull. Load developement as previously mentioned can be tedious and the freebore presents a problem to some. but, after some tweaking they all are accurate to under 1/2 MOA at 200. All this said, I haven't seen a non-custom factory rifle that didn't benefit from a bedded action and some trigger work along with hand loads tuned to the individual rifle.

I bought a 338-378 and didn't find it very accurate at all out of the box. It was intended to be my 'long range' hunter and I was also not particularly pleased with the MVs I was getting with the factory barrel. Barrel also didn't appear to be floated and certainly wasn't bedded, so off I went on the modification trail. Bought a Bartlein and left it at full length with medium palma taper. Smithy only cut off enough to chamber and headspace it, thread and crown the end so it's 30" barrel and weighs a ton along with large scope and bipod. In the process, I found a B&C stock I liked the look of and bought it. Hated the Weatherby trigger, so I put a very light (probably too light) Timney in there. Bedded the recoil lug and a teeny bit on the rest of the action. The barrel was floated in the stock without having to wallow any of it out. I'm still in load workup now, but it's better than it was when I first got it. The barrel gives me a hair under 3,000 fps with 300 gr SMKs. I'm experimenting with 280 gr Barnes LRX now, and the jury's still out but in all fairness, I haven't given it much of a chance yet. Kinda waiting for the weather to warm up some. I have no issue at all with the action, and that's the only Weatherby part left.

Back in the day, my Uncle built probably one of the first .30-378s in the late 70s. He took his MK.V chambered in .460 and rebarreled it with a 28" Shilen Stainless Match Barrel. He acquired a custom reamer and custom dies for the cartridge. He took multiple game animals with it including a huge Mulie and an elk at long range in the early 80s. He chose the .460 MK.V because it was the only action at the time that he believed could withstand this massive cartridge.

You need to do more research on the 30x378. You will find that Howard Wolfe was
very instrumental in its creation starting in the early 60s. The mark v was one of the
very few factory actions he would chamber that cartridge for.

Well It sounds like I am one of the minority when it comes to the Mark 5, so I will post only what I know for a fact, and the experiences I have had with the Weatherby Mark 5.

Don't know where to start so I will just start with the accuracy potential.

The 9 lug system is the best in my opinion(If you look at the big Navel guns they all use interrupted threads.They are very precise in there fit(These are "Bag" guns and have to seal the chamber well enough to keep from incinerating the gun crew.

They are easier to lap and most of the time lapping is not necessary except to smooth the surfaces
for better extraction.

From a precision machining stand point, I have not found any action that is closer to true while
blue printing.

They are the strongest commercial action built (White laboratories proved this).

They will handle extreme pressure cartridges with no issues.

And on a personal note I think they look great.

Where the reputation for poor accuracy came from was the publics desire for a very light rifle in a powerful cartridge resulting in massive recoil and with the buggy whip barrel (Normally a # 2or 3#
contour) the accuracy we need is tough to get.

The other downside is the cost of the Mark 5. It is hard to find a donor that is affordable .

With out exception, every Mark 5 that I have built will shoot well under 1/2 MOA and most have been under 1/4 MOA. It is not magic, like every action there are certain things that have to be done
to them to make them shoot really well and the Mark is no exception.

I have two preferred actions to use for my rifles (I have some other actions that shoot extremely well but if I can chose, here is mi # 1 choices Remington 700 for everything from a magnum bolt face down. Everything larger than a magnum bolt face , The Weatherby Mark 5.

J E CUSTOM

Well It sounds like I am one of the minority when it comes to the Mark 5, so I will post only what I know for a fact, and the experiences I have had with the Weatherby Mark 5.

Don't know where to start so I will just start with the accuracy potential.

The 9 lug system is the best in my opinion(If you look at the big Navel guns they all use interrupted threads.They are very precise in there fit(These are "Bag" guns and have to seal the chamber well enough to keep from incinerating the gun crew.

They are easier to lap and most of the time lapping is not necessary except to smooth the surfaces
for better extraction.

From a precision machining stand point, I have not found any action that is closer to true while
blue printing.

They are the strongest commercial action built (White laboratories proved this).

They will handle extreme pressure cartridges with no issues.

And on a personal note I think they look great.

Where the reputation for poor accuracy came from was the publics desire for a very light rifle in a powerful cartridge resulting in massive recoil and with the buggy whip barrel (Normally a # 2or 3#
contour) the accuracy we need is tough to get.

The other downside is the cost of the Mark 5. It is hard to find a donor that is affordable .

With out exception, every Mark 5 that I have built will shoot well under 1/2 MOA and most have been under 1/4 MOA. It is not magic, like every action there are certain things that have to be done
to them to make them shoot really well and the Mark is no exception.

I have two preferred actions to use for my rifles (I have some other actions that shoot extremely well but if I can chose, here is mi # 1 choices Remington 700 for everything from a magnum bolt face down. Everything larger than a magnum bolt face , The Weatherby Mark 5.

J E CUSTOM

There is one other action the rivals the MK.V in strength, but it's all pretty rare. I have seen one of them, and they are built by BRUNO. It looks like a 98 Mauser on steroids. Looks to be about 1.50" in diameter, if not a little bigger yet. I had a friend who was a gunsmith specializing in double rifles and really big bore stuff. Probably one of the very best I've ever seen. God called him home a couple years ago.

Your findings with the Weatherby are spot on! They are often frowned on by gunsmiths because they don't know anything but one action. I don't call them gunsmiths, but shade tree mechanics. Put a good heavy barrel on one and watch out.

Arty uses two type of breeches, and both are massively strong. They and armor use a sliding block breech (sort of like a falling block). This system is more noted for speed in loading, and is only used with rounds using a brass case for the powder. The big stuff mostly use the inter locking step thread breech system (Russians and Chinese still use a brass case). The most over bore round ever shot in a cannon used the step thread breech. Seven inches in diameter round with a five foot seven inch by twelve inch powder charge. You could watch the barrel twist and wiggle almost four inches with a zone three charge. Barrel life was eighty rounds! Shot a 147lb. bullet faster than an M16 could shoot a 52 grain bullet. That ought tell some folks something about overbore! The old eight inch howitzer could put round after round into a garbage can at nine miles (short very stiff barrel and far from overbore). Still the most accurate round the military has ever possessed.

The downside of the step thread breech and powder bags is contamination. About three hundred fifty rounds is about it before you get to take it apart and clean in down to bare metal. Using a brass case will give you a solid double shots before cleaning, but also has other major issues. After you've been unlucky enough to be forced into cleaning the breech you soon learn to do it in less than an hour.
gary

Seems that this rifle is hardly ever spoken of as a potent long range rifle. Is there a particular reason for this? What do you think of their accuracy and construction quality?

I wrench on firearms for a living so I get to see far more firearms in trouble than the average gun owner. My book reflects more R700's getting worked on more than all other brands put together by about 5 to one. Weatherby's Mark 5's are a treat when I get to see one. They are my favorite rifle to repair or build on. They are a very strong and safe design.

No love? Lots of love in this neck of the woods. They get lots of love from people in the know. They are difficult to master. A 300 in an 8 1/2 pound rifle is not pleasant at all. A 378 without a brake could end your shooting career if taken personally. Like any rifle, bedding, free floating and adjusting the trigger will help get the most out of it. I like mine with muzzle brakes. I have found the Weatherby calibers to be forgiving and easy to load for. Just be sure to have lots of 7828 on hand.

Construction quality is top notch. A lot of unfamiliar "smiths" and DIY guys trying to treat them like a Remington has contributed to a falsely earned bad reputation. The bedding is different, the barrel tennon / bolt nose recess is different, the 9 lugs confound them. Any or all of this done wrong is a recipe for failure. Done right, it's a thing of beauty.

Some folks had bad experiences with Weatherby's accuracy wise and tend to put them in the overpriced junk category and that's understandable !

I have always had good results and will buy more

Hardly thrilling but a 270 wby 90s Atascadero built MkV with wood stock , no bedding , pressure points , #2 contour , factory trigger . On a good day for me of course

My 257 Vanguard consistently out shoots it as well

I definitely don't think they're junk, just disappointed (and confused and ****ed off) that their budget model rifles (Vanguard Sub-MOA) have a better accuracy guarantee than their top-tier rifles (Accumarks come with a 1.5" guarantee). That's kind of backwards and BS, in my opinion.

I also think the Mark V actions are very strong and heavy duty. But I think they really need to improve on their barrel quality and quality control, for something that costs as much as the Mark V rifles do. 1 quick swipe down the bore with a properly sized jag and a wet patch would have instantly given away the issue that my rifle had, and they would have rebarreled it before sending it out of the factory. I don't dislike Weatherby, but it has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Roy Weatherby was a very smart individual. And I have alot of respect for what he was able to accomplish with the technology back then. Another personal hero of mine was P.O. Ackley. Both of them were way ahead of their time.

I feel the pain mud. I had the same thing and after spending a bunch of money and several trips to bob hart. I supposedly had all the good stuff done, only to not get what I expected for accuracy. But as said after using loads of powder and bullets as I came close to max pressure it started to turn around.
I'm also really baffled and kinda off out by the accuracy guarantee. So I've ordered my next one from Kirby as a turn key. Now that being said if I am ever to do another 257 Roy or redo this one I will be using JE customs. He has some very happy customers with roys.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.