7mm Weatherby: Why so little attention?

Who said anything about what caliber takes what bullets? I simply stated the 7mm measurement is right at .277 and the .284 is, IIRC 7.2mm. You do the math and you'll see I am correct.

Everyone needs to calm down. Again I NEVER SAID anyone should shoot a .284 diameter bullet in a .277 barrel.

Got it?
You're confusing the issue which is likely to get someone to blow a gun up which is irresponsible.

Well this has become truly pointless haha. Ima put this out of its misery once I figure out how to do that. No worries all.
Agreed!

hijack.gif

Just for funsies, I remember reading about the 270 win being a REAL 7mm in the 90s looking through my dads shooting times magazines. Its been a tongue in cheek joke for a long time. Kind of a poke at the unimportant argument over small bullet diameter differences. 6.5 vs 270. 270 vs 7mm. 7mm vs 308. On and on. 308 vs 30-06. 45-70 vs 300 RUM now that matters. .010" bullet diameter doesn't.

Last edited:
Just for funsies, I remember reading about the 270 win being a REAL 7mm in the 90s looking through my dads shooting times magazines. Its been a tongue in cheek joke for a long time. Kind of a poke at the unimportant argument over small bullet diameter differences. 6.5 vs 270. 270 vs 7mm. 7mm vs 308. On and on. 308 vs 30-06. 45-70 vs 300 RUM now that matters. .010" bullet diameter doesn't.
It's not and confusing the issue is a good way to get someone maimed or killed.

The .270 is a .277 bullet, not a 7mm/.284 bullet.

Just tossing this out there to generate discussion and probably ruffle feathers but the more I see about this old cartridge the more I can't understand why it's so far removed from the commercial success of 7mm-"anything else"magnums. It's what the 7mm rem could have been but wasn't. It nips right on the heels of the STW, Nosler, and RUM cartridges out of ordinary hunting rifle barrel lengths with waaaay less powder. Whatever about the curvy shoulder voodoo, I don't know that there's anything to that, but it hasn't been crippled by an arbitrarily low SAAMI pressure and hooray for freebore. (Also the .270 weatherby comes to mind for the same virtues…).

So what are your thoughts? It wouldn't be hard to fire form brass, and we love tinkering with things enough that the weatherby case design and expensive factory ammo can't possibly be all there is to why this round isn't more popular…can it?

If I ever get a 7mm of any kind this will probably be the one.
I have one, MKV 7MM WBY and I love the caliber and rifle. When it is returned from Weatherby for a barrel replacement it will be my go to caliber aside from my other Weatherby's.