Why .300 Weatherby ?

I'll play devils advocate by saying that I don't think the 300 Weatherby is all that popular at least compared to the 300 Winchester Magnum. "better" depends on how it's used.

Cartridge Length OAL capacity Pmax
300 WM 2.620" 3.340 95.5 grain* 62366
300 Wby 2.824" 3.560 98.9 grain 63817

With short bullets and "normal" seating depths the 300 Weatherby gives about 6% more energy resulting in 3% higher velocities for the same bullets. That's assuming you stay within SAAMI specs.

So what's "better" about the 300 Win Mag? it's case is 0.204 inches shorter than the 300 Wby. Typical "long actions" such as Rem 700 and Sako have 3.6" magazines. While that's a good match for the SAAMI length of the 300 Weatherby it does not have as much room for long low drag bullets which are desirable for long range shooting. The extra 0.2" makes a big difference in allowing the use of longer (not necessarily heavier) bullets and can typically deliver more velocity and energy at long range for the same weight bullets. Of course if you use an even longer (over 3.8") custom action that advantage returns to the 300 Weatherby.

*Several manufacturers make 300 Win Mag brass. They range in case capacity from 92 grains for Winchester to 95.5 grains for Norma.

I was sighting in 1" high for a short range bear hunt that I expected to be heavy cover. I settled for this. .300Wby Mk V.

Attachments

• .300 weatherby.jpg
    .300 weatherby.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 62
I used a custom 300 Wby for many years. I mostly shot 165 grain bullets. This was pre laser range finders and the thought was spotted was king. 165 @3400 fps killed a lot of deer and elk. I haven't shot mine in 5 years. Not enough time... only other 300 I have is a pre-64 300 H&H. I took it to Africa as i wanted a classic hunt with classic rifle & caliber.

I bought my first WBY MKV used, early German in 300 WBY. It came with 5 boxes of ammo from 110 grn to 180 grn. Early German was 24" barrel, 12 twist. Shot and still shoots lights out. I liked the fit, finish, and everything about the cardridge. I never had to look for my game because it was DRT. Late 90's I decided to listen to peers and go "lighter" with a 30.06, Win M70 Calssic Stainless, BOSS. Shoots lights out, factory or handloads. Around 2013 I wanted to go back to the 300WBY, but had retired my German one. I bought a used Japanese MKV, a used American MKV, and a new American MKV all in 300 WBY in a 4 year span. Each rifle is set for a different bullet and powder. The worst, shoots 0.4" at 100 yard. The best, shoots 0.4" at 200 yards. I also have a Win M70 Classic Stainless BOSS in 300 WBY and two WIN M70 Classice Stainless BOSS 300 Win Mag.
300 WBY is still one of my favorite cradridges. WBY's, you either love them, hate them, or love to hate them. But if you bother to learn how they work, you will be hooked for life! MHO

i went down in cartridge size i shoot a 257 Weatherby mag. shoots get ,shoots a long ways out ,the 300 Weatherby mag. has too much recoil for me at 68 years of age with bad shoulders but it is a good cartridge too.

Well, well , well , 12 year old post .
regarding a 56 year old caliber.
that is now close to 68 years old .
and still going strong.
I wonder if Darrel got his questions answered ?
Hope so ,hope he isn't still checking post every day.

I bought my first WBY MKV used, early German in 300 WBY. It came with 5 boxes of ammo from 110 grn to 180 grn. Early German was 24" barrel, 12 twist. Shot and still shoots lights out. I liked the fit, finish, and everything about the cardridge. I never had to look for my game because it was DRT. Late 90's I decided to listen to peers and go "lighter" with a 30.06, Win M70 Calssic Stainless, BOSS. Shoots lights out, factory or handloads. Around 2013 I wanted to go back to the 300WBY, but had retired my German one. I bought a used Japanese MKV, a used American MKV, and a new American MKV all in 300 WBY in a 4 year span. Each rifle is set for a different bullet and powder. The worst, shoots 0.4" at 100 yard. The best, shoots 0.4" at 200 yards. I also have a Win M70 Classic Stainless BOSS in 300 WBY and two WIN M70 Classice Stainless BOSS 300 Win Mag.
300 WBY is still one of my favorite cradridges. WBY's, you either love them, hate them, or love to hate them. But if you bother to learn how they work, you will be hooked for life! MHO
I have been shooting model 70 , pre 74 , rechambered from 300 H&H to 300 weatherby mag before I got it, I really didnt
Pick the caliber ,it was more of moving up from a 30-06 , and this was available used from a friend for 375.00 .
I'm very happy with the rifle and just a couple years ago put a muzzle break on it ,mostly for when I am practicing.
I shoot 180 gr Noslers , and like you haven't had much trouble loosing or not finding elk.
Two other guys in our group also have same caliber ,with no complaints.
Thanks and I already know this is a 12 year old thread.

I have a question for all of you folks. There seems to be a quite a few of well respected individuals in the shooting industry that have chosen the .300 Weatherby as their general cartridge of choice. Why have they chosen this particular cartridge, other than for its' velocity ? Is there something that is inherent to this casing/cartridge that makes it the stellar choice? I am asking this to help me understand so I appreciate your honest , informational replys. Thank you for your information. Darrel
Yet another "resurrection thread".... .?

Yet another "resurrection thread".... .?
Yes ,I have thrown in the towel , waved a white flag and given up on complaining about threads coming up that are older than the hills .
From now on I will answer everyone as if it were brand new ,
Even if the person who posted it is no longer with us .