Who cuts the best 6.5 barrel for overbore cartridges and heavy bullets?

Overbore for me is any cartridge I calculate having under 1,500rnds accurate barrel life, with the fastest powder that fills the capacity at SAAMI max pressure, using heavy for cal bullets.
Of course this is tied to available powders, including military surplus.
Example 6.5x284 has an accurate barrel life of ~1,200

Between overbore and underbore there are standard capacities for cal, with at least one peaking in accurate barrel life for me.
Example 6BR, or 6.5x47 have accurate barrel lives of ~1,850-2,000.

Underbores are seen as small capacities for cal, allowing very fast powders and viable extreme pressure loads.
They dwell deep into diminished returns(by design), which manifests as diminished variances of returns.
These are used in short to mid range BR competitions.
They can provide incredible barrel life if the pressure advantage is sacrificed for it.
A competitive 30BR, or 6PPC have accurate barrel lives of ~900-1500.
But back either to hunting loads with less but acceptable accuracy, barrel life jumps to ~3,600.

The accurate history of these terms, has never really been in my application of them.
As for best overbore barrels, still with my barrel life perspective, Bartlein is offering 'hard steel' barrels, as Loather Walther has in the past.
Bartlein are cut rifled. I was happy with one in 6BR (std steel). I'll soon be ordering their hard steel offering for one of my projects.

Recent Posts